Answered

Setting up Port with old wired system

• 31 January 2023
  • 5 replies

I purchased two Roam speakers to use with my existing speakers, CD player, record player, receiver and a Bluetooth transmitter. Unfortunately the sound lag between the old wired speakers and the Roams was unacceptable. I gather this is because of the Bluetooth connection so I have upgraded to the Port but I am very unsure of the best way to connect it to my system so that I can listen to my CDs and vinyl using both the wireless speakers and the wired speakers connected to the receiver at the same time.

I have tried plugging the RCA plug from the audio out on the receiver to the audio in on the Port but I'm pretty much just shooting in the dark at this point and there was still a latency problem.

I’m attaching a diagram of the wiring set up with model numbers. Any advice on what plug should go where or if I need to get a RCA splitter too?

Thanks very much.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 3 February 2023, 12:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Port should at least be connected to the audio out on the amp. Looking at the picture of your amp the “in” on the Port should be connected to the “out” on the (somewhat confusingly named) Input 4. The “out” on the Port can be connected to the “in” on Input 4.

This way you can play sources connected to the amp (CD player, turntable) to the Port and use the Port as a source for Spotify and the like.

The Port should at least be connected to the audio out on the amp. Looking at the picture of your amp the “in” on the Port should be connected to the “out” on the (somewhat confusingly named) Input 4. The “out” on the Port can be connected to the “in” on Input 4.

This way you can play sources connected to the amp (CD player, turntable) to the Port and use the Port as a source for Spotify and the like.

I have tried your suggestion and connected the RCA cables to the 

AUX line-in on my Port → Audio Input 4 Out on the Sony Receiver

Out on my Port → Audio Input 4 In on the Sony Receiver

This does work but the latency is still pretty prominent even with speakers in different rooms for things like jazz and listening to radio programs with talking even after adjusting the Audio Compression and Audio Delay settings (also not a consistent fix for different music and radio samples). Results were fairly even latency wise between jazz on the record player, the CD in the Pioneer and the Radio from the Receiver.

On the bright side, when I play anything from my phone via the Port to both the wired speakers connected to the receiver and the Roams, the sound is completely flawless and in sync. This gives me hope that it can be done the other way around too?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @BeatrixWest 

On the bright side, when I play anything from my phone via the Port to both the wired speakers connected to the receiver and the Roams, the sound is completely flawless and in sync. This gives me hope that it can be done the other way around too?

This depends on the amplifier. It’s reasonably likely, however.

You’ll need to connect Port as if it is a tape deck - with input and output connected.

When playing a record, for example, you’ll want to put the input selector on the amplifier to Phono, but have the “Tape Monitor” function on - this is the feature that may or may not exist on your amplifier. If it does exist, the record will play to Port through the amplifier (Tape Rec/Out), Port will buffer and share it with the rest of the system and play it from it’s output. This output is fed into Tape In/Play and with Tape Monitor on, the amplifier will play in sync with the Sonos system.

If there is no Tape Monitor switch on your amplifier, I don’t think you’ll be able to get the amplifier and Sonos to play in sync when using an amplifier-connected source.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Remember there is always a 70ms lag when playing from an analogue source to the Port. Sonos needs this for buffering. Is this what you are experiencing?

Rather than connecting the turntable to the Receiver, connect it to PORT. You’ll need a built-in or external preamp in this arrangement. Now, you can select the PORT input, rather than Phono, and the turntable will play without any sync issues with the other SONOS players or the receiver’s speaker output -- unless there is a delay of some sort in the receiver.