Answered

S1 and S2 on iOS

I have a mix of new and old products and was running the S1 Controller App.  I was trying to add a Beam to my Sonos network but is forcing me to use S2 app which I don’t want to do.  How do I override and continue to use the S1 app - I have thousands of dollars invested in older Sonos equipment and have no interest in upgrading it.

icon

Best answer by Rowena B. 11 January 2021, 01:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Bennington, welcome to the Sonos Community, and thanks for bringing your concern to our attention. The Sonos Beam is compatible with both S1 and S2 systems. To help you out with this, I'll be requesting from you in submitting a diagnostic report to check your Sonos system, and don't forget to include the confirmation number in your response to find out the cause. Let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.

I just submitted the diagnostic information - confirmation number is: 1194563929.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Bennington

Thank you for your response and for submitting the diagnostic. Based on the report, I can see that your S1 and S2 are running separately. 

To further help you out with this, allow me to ask a few questions to isolate the issue.

• Is the Beam (Office TV) that you're adding to your S1 system currently in your S2 system? 
  • If so, you need to factory reset the Sonos Beam to be able to add it to the S1 system.
  • Using the S1 app, you can already add the Beam.

It would be great if you add more details about the Beam that you're adding to your S1 system. We'll wait for your reply.

I did factory reset the Beam and was able to add it.  Everything seems to be working now.

Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Bennington, thank you for your response and for updating us. I'm glad that you have successfully added your Sonos Beam to your S1 system. Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.

I share Bennington’s concern. I want a single app..... for all S1 and S2 products.  Sonos is accelerating the loss of control of its own interface.  I use Google Voice control for most music these days bc I don’t like the hassle of the app confusion.  I don’t have time for multiple S1 and S2 apps.  I’m sad…. Sonos was amazing at bridging the gaps between content providers and between devices…. that’s what caused me to support your company since your first product.  what happened?

The systems are separate and will stay that way. One app  for two systems would be crazy and would not help for voice control.

It's a done deal.  Let's move on. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

If you want a single app for both S1 and S2, and an app that doesn’t ever nag you to update, go get SonoPad/SonosPhone from the App Store or mine for Windows.

Lol.  Sonopad is a $3 app.  How weird that we must pay a third party to escape marketing in-app.  Sonos with its excellent customer service should never allow its marketing department to spoil its reputation.  They are handing the GUI to Google and Amazon.  Very sad for Sonos.  I have repeatedly told Sonos I don’t want S2 and will control all devices with S1.  Yes, I still see the marketing junk. If Sonos isn’t careful, this could turn into a lawsuit.  They don’t get to junk products we have bought.  

Lol.  Sonopad is a $3 app.  How weird that we must pay a third party to escape marketing in-app.  Sonos with its excellent customer service should never allow its marketing department to spoil its reputation.  They are handing the GUI to Google and Amazon.  Very sad for Sonos.  I have repeatedly told Sonos I don’t want S2 and will control all devices with S1.  Yes, I still see the marketing junk. If Sonos isn’t careful, this could turn into a lawsuit.  They don’t get to junk products we have bought.  

You can turn off the ads by logging into your Sonos account here: https://www.sonos.com/login/

Go to Profile, Contact Options, and uncheck the Sonos App box. 

If you want a single app for both S1 and S2, and an app that doesn’t ever nag you to update, go get SonoPad/SonosPhone from the App Store or mine for Windows.

I think that would only work if the user were to use the S1 and S2 System under the same HouseholdID - I don’t think SonosPad would see both Systems otherwise?

I  personally choose not to use the same HHID for both S1 and S2 systems. I’ve always thought it ‘good practice’ to create a brand new S1 HH (after upgrade of some devices to S2) using an S1 only compatible device.. such as a Play: 5 (gen 1)?

Otherwise my belief is that issues are ‘likely’ to occur if deciding to downgrade some compatible Sonos devices back to S1 later. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I think that would only work if the user were to use the S1 and S2 System under the same HouseholdID - I don’t think SonosPad would see both Systems otherwise?

No, SonoPad, like my iOS app, handles multiple households, simultaneously, just fine. Each one has its own HHID. My Windows app asks which HH at startup, because too much of the codebase was written assuming a single household. I learnt my lesson when I re-wrote the code for the new app.

No, SonoPad, like my iOS app, handles multiple households, simultaneously, just fine. Each one has its own HHID. My Windows app asks which HH at startup, because too much of the codebase was written assuming a single household. I learnt my lesson when I re-wrote the code for the new app.

That’s strange then, as my SonoPad App v1.13.9.1 on my iPad only sees my S2 HH only - no sign of my S1 system. I don’t use it that much, so is there a way to change settings to see both?

That’s strange then, as my SonoPad App v1.13.9.1 on my iPad only sees my S2 HH only - no sign of my S1 system. I don’t use it that much, so is there a way to change settings to see both?

Ah I found that if I take an IP address from one of the S1 players (on WiFi) and add it to the ‘Manual IP Detection’ field in the SonoPad Settings it brings through the S1 HH to then appear alongside S2 (on SonosNet) in your App on next startup. So I see it now.

I assume though the two Households will still continue to operate as separate entities?

Wow guys!!  Impressive work.  What you are doing here is really amazing.  I want to recap so I understand:

1. Sonos told us that upgrading to S2 would permanently change the newer S2 compatible products that work with S1 and S2 prior to installing the S2 upgrade. Is that true? 
  2. If you are saying that users can set up both S1 and S2 apps without causing problems or update issues and the S2 compatible devices will work with S2 features enabled, that’s amazing. Is that what you are saying? 
  3. What benefits of S2 will be enabled on SonoPad that are not already available running S1 on all S1/S2 compatible devices? 
  4. I would really appreciate in-app simple instructions to set this up.  References to “manual IP detection” will scare more people unless the process is very simple. 
  5. I am an attorney working in high tech for over 20 years.  I think Sonos is really missing the boat.  I appreciate that Sonopad is here to fix an error that could give its success to Google/Amazon.  With all the patent issues floating around and voice control commonly available, keeping the installed loyal base is critical.    

Thanks

Wow guys!!  Impressive work.  What you are doing here is really amazing.  I want to recap so I understand:

1 Sonos told us that upgrading to S2 would permanently change the newer S2 compatible products that work with S1 and S2 prior to installing the S2 upgrade. Is that true? 

Please see the section ‘Is this Process reversible?’ in the linked Sonos help article:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4845?language=en_US

2 If you are saying that users can set up both S1 and S2 apps without causing problems or update issues and the S2 compatible devices will work with S2 features enabled, that’s amazing. Is that what you are saying? 

That is how my setup works.  I am aware of users who have got into a bit of a tangle with updates, but this can usually be sorted out by controller resets.  See for example:

3 What benefits of S2 will be enabled on SonoPad that are not already available running S1 on all S1/S2 compatible devices? 

No idea.  Currently there are very few advantages to S2 anyway.  S2 is a platform to allow future development that would not be possible on legacy devices, given their limited memory.

4 I would really appreciate in-app simple instructions to set this up.  References to “manual IP detection” will scare more people unless the process is very simple. 

Set what up?  SonoPad?  Separate S1 and S2 systems?  If the latter then i started with the .compatibility checker in the Sonos app at the time S1 and S2 were introduced, which led me through the process.

5  am an attorney working in high tech for over 20 years.  I think Sonos is really missing the boat.  I appreciate that Sonopad is here to fix an error that could give its success to Google/Amazon.  With all the patent issues floating around and voice control commonly available, keeping the installed loyal base is critical.   

To what error are you referring?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Ah I found that if I take an IP address from one of the S1 players (on WiFi) and add it to the ‘Manual IP Detection’ field in the SonoPad Settings it brings through the S1 HH to then appear alongside S2 (on SonosNet) in your App on next startup. So I see it now.

I assume though the two Households will still continue to operate as separate entities?

You would have to ask Stefan (the author of SonoPad) why you needed to add it manually. I have two S1 and an S2 household on my network, and it finds all of my devices without issue.

Yes, each household operates separately, Stefan is very smart but he can’t work miracles.

You would have to ask Stefan (the author of SonoPad) why you needed to add it manually. I have two S1 and an S2 household on my network, and it finds all of my devices without issue.

I have it working now so it’s not a big issue. I just didn’t realise it did both S1 & S2.

Yes, each household operates separately, Stefan is very smart but he can’t work miracles.

I will just continue to ‘occasionally’ group across both systems using Airplay then in that case.