Question

Router/Connect:Amp placement

• 29 April 2017
  • 0 replies

In short, I'm building a new home and I just want to make sure that everything is done accordingly.

Originally I was going to store my Fios Quantum router on the first floor with the rest of my connect amps. I've since scratched that idea and I'm planning on running cat6 from Fios ONT box to the router on the first floor, and then running a separate cat6 back to my basement where my CONNECT:AMPS will be placed and plugging it directly into only one of the amps triggering SonosNet. There will also be a separate cat6 coming from router and plugging into a 16 port unmanaged switch which will liven up the rest of the cat6 connections in the house if that changes anything. So, is it all right if my CONNECT:AMPS are down in the far corner of my basement approximately 35 feet from my router on the first floor?

I also plan on having a CONNECT next to my router on the first floor which will plug into my receiver. Should I plug the CONNECT into the router as well? I will also have one more CONNECT:AMP on the 2nd floor along with a SUB and a PLAYBAR. Will the last 4 sonos components I mentioned be able to take part in the SonosNet configuration or will they be too far away from the CONNECT:AMPS in the basement? Instead of putting the last CONNECT:AMP on the second floor, should I just put it down in the basement with the rest?

It's a 7,000 square foot house and the components upstairs would be on almost opposite corners of the house in reference with the components in the basement. If this changes anything I will have a switch located next to the CONNECT:AMP on the second floor. Would it better to plug the CONNECT:AMP, SUB or PLAYBAR into the switch to extend the SonosNet? Is that how that works?

Also, does anybody have any experience with the Fios Network Extender? I feel like this is the easiest way to go about extending my network since it is truly an extension of my network that my Fios Quantum router will provide and not a separate network with the same SSID and password. From my understanding as well as network devices are on the same subnet then Sonos should work no problem?

I apologize for rambling, but I just want to get this done right. Thank you!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.