Question

Restaurant Setup

Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi folks,

I'm having a bit of an issue getting a large Sonos installation prepped and ready for prime time.

I have a Cisco based network setup as follows:

VLAN 2 (Employee Wired/Wireless 192.x.101.x) SSID Employee
VLAN 6 (Sonos Wired/Wireless 192.x.101.x) SSID Sonos

I have all the Sonos components connected to the SSID or connected to a switch (wired/wireless shares the same vlan/ip subnet).

Everything works great when i connect my app to the Sonos Private SSID, the issue is connecting via the app to the Employee network. I am able to ping across both VLAN's to the laptop, phone and back to the speakers. The app refuses to see the devices on the other vlan.

There are NO ACL's configured to block traffic between the VLAN's, so this should work.

Anyone have any ideas?

3 replies

You can't have controllers on a different vlan (subnet) TP the Sonos players. Sonos' communication uses non-routable protocols.
And why not just have Sonos use SonosNet?
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
first of all, your VLAN specification seems out of whack. The 192.168.x.x network is a B-class network, so you can't pick and choose any number for the second octet (as you indicated).

Regardless of that, Sonos utilizes multicast traffic to find the system (and sometimes broadcast for new controllers), which is usually never routed by default. It might be possible to fix, I did a similar setup with a Clavister firewall:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/multiple-subnets-vlans-and-sonos-workable-clavister-solution-30950

If you have no ACL between the subnets, you don't need to worry about the correct ports, but you do need to allow or retransmit multicast traffic somehow. There are even some WiFi setups that blocks multicast between physical and wireless networks even though they are on the same subnet.

I was also told that there are switches that support MVR (Multicast Vlan Registration) like the 24Port Zyxel GS1910-24 which works to bridge the multicast traffic between different subnets. It might be a viable solution for you, but you should make sure that it only forwards multicast traffic an nothing else between the two subnets (although you don't seem to concerned about it if you don't have any ACLs).

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings