Requirement to phone home

• 23 October 2018
  • 11 replies

I have locked down my system, which includes denying the Sonos kit access to the internet. I just had reason to reboot my Sonos kit, and found that it wouldn't do anything at all until I allowed internet access to all the devices - not even respond to pings. So it looks like Sonos has disabled the kit unless you allow it to phone home. Is this correct?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi amun

On a reboot your Sonos wanted to verify your account and would require the internet. Alexa requires the internet as well

Otherwise The Sonos app rely's on Wi-Fi to connect your device to your Sonos Kit. It only needs the internet if you are trying to update the app, requires a firmware update, register a new device, reach a streaming service or play downloaded music that you do not own and/or has reached the grace period to play for free; before you pay for it. Any music resident on your device (or NAS) that you own can be played without internet service.

Also, after the v9.2 update several features are no longer available via computer but you should still be able to access your Sonos over Wi-Fi under the same conditions mentioned earlier.

If none of the above I suspect your lock down shut off Wi-Fi as well.:?

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If you can check your firewall logs to see what is being blocked by your Sonos rules you might be able to tweak them to the point you can get the needed data through while still blocking updates.
On a reboot your Sonos wanted to verify your account.....
Yes, that's what it looked like, but I was surprised how dead they became - couldn't even ping them.
Can't say that I like it, as there's no need for it to phone home - not under my set-up, anyway. It's not as if I was adding a new unit.

Any music resident on your device (or NAS) that you own can be played without internet service.
It used to be, but now you have to open it up to phone home before it will do anything at all. IIRC, that only came in fairly recently for reboots.

If none of the above I suspect your lock down shut off Wi-Fi as well.:?Cheers!
Yes - I never achieved a properly working system following Sonos's 'rules', so after a few years I went my own way - so EoP adaptors, wired, wireless locked off and now, to stop updating to the latest PC controller, all access to the internet shut off.
If you can check your firewall logs to see what is being blocked by your Sonos rules you might be able to tweak them to the point you can get the needed data through while still blocking updates.
Yes... Unfortunately, the new router that I bought in order to get a gigabit port for the internet turns out to be less capable than my previous one - so I can block a device entirely, but not using rules for web addresses or domains etc. If I change the router then I'll probably just block the update addresses, so that I can use the internet radio again. It's not a huge issue to me, though, as I have quite a lot of music on my NAS.
Userlevel 7
Hi amun

In case you're interested and if you can make an exchange (assuming you like what you see and read) click the link for the router I use:

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC5300/overview/

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What exactly fails to work?
Hi amun

In case you're interested and if you can make an exchange (assuming you like what you see and read) click the link for the router I use:

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC5300/overview/

Cheers!

Thanks for that - it's probably a bit more capable than I actually need - but then when has that ever stopped me? 🙂
What exactly fails to work?
It was bizarre - I was following instructions in another thread to change which device was the root bridge(*) and I had to reboot. When I rebooted, I couldn't see either device on the network, couldn't ping them (they have reserved addresses) - although they clearly booted, they seemed totally unresponsive to anything - didn't appear in the PC controller, didn't appear on any client lists, either. When I allowed each device access to internet, though, it burst into life and it displayed in the Sonos PC controller. It seemed as though they had been totally disabled.

* This was to try and sort out the order that the android controller displays rooms, as I have had problems with the android controller for a while now. The lock screen version fails to respond, and when I open the full version then it selects the wrong room. Sonos support claimed that it simply chose the first device that it found, but I started to wonder whether it actually chose the root device first. So far, this seems to be born out, but it's early days...
A further thought... Should the Sonos servers be unavailable for any reason, up to and including Sonos switching them off or going out of business, would this mean that no piece of kit could survive a reboot?
First, glad you have got back to where you wanted to be. But I am sceptical about the root thing. What if the root is a Boost not a player? I have even seen cases where a switch acted as the root. It used to be the case that the root would be the earliest MAC address (I think), but now it seems better at adjusting to use the wired device, at least where only one device is wired. Still, can't be sure.
First, glad you have got back to where you wanted to be. But I am sceptical about the root thing. What if the root is a Boost not a player? I have even seen cases where a switch acted as the root. It used to be the case that the root would be the earliest MAC address (I think), but now it seems better at adjusting to use the wired device, at least where only one device is wired. Still, can't be sure.
Yes, I really can't be sure about this, but I'm not prepared to break it again just to prove (or disprove) a point 🙂
All I can say is that it used to consistently choose the 'wrong' device, and now it consistently chooses the 'right' device. So the whilst the problem itself hasn't gone away (lock screen mini player not working) the impact is far lower now. As far as the Boost goes - yes, as I'd put it back in the circuit to try and get the players working again, it was initially the root - but taking it out left the Play 5 as the root - which is what I'd set it to.