Answered

Record Player to Stereo Play 5 gen 2 pair

• 15 June 2020
  • 5 replies

So, my current setup is Sonos Play 5 (Gen 2) stereo set with a line in on the left speaker from my beamer (Wirelessly this single input makes a uncompressed stereo pair on my Play 5 set).

Now I want to connect a record player to the equation. I would prefer not working with splitters or unplugging/replugging. Would it be possible to connect my record player to the right speaker via a line in and select the record player as my input via the Sonos app?

Is it in any way beneficial to connect the left output of my record player to the left speaker and the right output to the right speaker? Is that even possible? Does it make any sense even if there is a uncompressed stereo signal according to my Sonos preferences?

Ideal situation would be. 

Beamer → Line Out → Line In → Sonos Play 5 (L) → Uncompressed R signal → Router → Sonos Play 5 (R)

Record Player → Phono Out → Phono In → Phono Amplifier → Line Out → Line In → Sonos Play 5 (R) → Uncompressed L signal → Router → Sonos Play 5 (L)

Looking forward to hear from you!

Warm Regards,

Selle

icon

Best answer by ratty 15 June 2020, 12:20

Now I want to connect a record player to the equation. I would prefer not working with splitters or unplugging/replugging. Would it be possible to connect my record player to the right speaker via a line in and select the record player as my input via the Sonos app?

Yes. Each Line-In is independently selectable.

Is it in any way beneficial to connect the left output of my record player to the left speaker and the right output to the right speaker? Is that even possible? Does it make any sense even if there is a uncompressed stereo signal according to my Sonos preferences?

No, you can’t split the stereo channels like that. Each Line-In is itself a stereo input (L & R).

View original

5 replies

Yes. Each Line-In is independently selectable.

No, you can’t split the stereo channels like that. Each Line-In is itself a stereo input (L & R).

In that case I’m wondering how “uncompressed” Sonos’s WAV format is which it uses to send the audio information to the other speaker. Is it CD quality 44.1kHz 16 Bit?

I’m planning on buying a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit record player alongside a Pro-Ject Tube Box S2. Sounds like a waste of money if I run it through the built in AD converter of the Sonos Play 5. But maybe I’m underestimating the quality where with Sonos makes the Play 5’s a stereo pair. Any thoughts?

In that case I’m wondering how “uncompressed” Sonos’s WAV format is which it uses to send the audio information to the other speaker. Is it CD quality 44.1kHz 16 Bit?

Yes, in “uncompressed” mode it’s entirely lossless. 

Thanks for the reply Ratty, Is there any information about this specifically on the Sonos website? I can only find this info but that comes back to streaming.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/79?language=en%5C_US

Thanks for the reply Ratty, Is there any information about this specifically on the Sonos website?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4839