Question

Recommended players for multichannel music for Mac

• 22 January 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge +1
  • Avid Contributor II
  • 6 replies

Hi all,

I have a Sonos Amp with two passive speakers and two Sonos Ones setup in surround mode. I use a Mac Mini and an AppleTV to play content, they are connected via HDMI to the TV, which passes on an optical signal to the Amp via the Sonos adapter.

One of the things I was most excited to try out with this setup was multichannel audio. I am very pleased with the results, and am looking forward to a lot of amazing listening.

I have been able to playback multichannel audio in two ways, either converting my flac files to AC3 with ffmpeg and playing them via Kodi set to to passthrough, or activating AC3 transcoding in Kodi and playing flac directly.

I also use Plex and Infuse, but was not able to get them to either passthrough or transcode.

Can anyone recommend any other player, or other solution to play multichannel music with the Amp running either on OS X or AppleTV?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @jgf3

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. We appreciate you for sharing this with us. Using a 3rd party software to stream music is not supported, it may or may not work with Sonos. Of course, we don’t limit you from using it or exploring what you prefer, just keep in mind Sonos's Policies. You may check out the following community topics for your reference.

https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/windows-media-streaming-browse-by-folder-how-to-play-more-than-one-track-6854003
https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/using-vlc-media-player-6769219

We can also wait for inputs and suggestions from our community members. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.