Question

Question to PC-Sonos users regarding 5.1

• 10 July 2017
  • 1 reply

Badge
I got my PS4 and PC coonected to my LG TV via HDMI and the TV connected to the Playbar + two Play1s. I got 5.1 passthrough to work on my TV with my PS4 (the Sonos app verifies the 5.1 signal), but I'm struggling with my PC. As far as I can see the problem is with Windows not with Sonos or my TV.

The PC detects the TV with Extended Display Identification Data (EDID) as stereo which it is, but it can't "see" the Sonos system so no other options are available than stereo in Windows sound settings. This is a common problem, nothing new here. When connecting a surround receiver between the PC and TV the soundcard detects multiple channels from the receiver, so there're suddenly multiple options in Windows sound settings (stereo, 5.1, 7.2 etc.). As far as I know you can't force an 5.1 output via HDMI.

I've been doing a bit of googling and I stumpled upon this thread (http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2914929/home-theater-difficulties-audio.html) where someone suggested this:

"When you connect the PC to the TV it is telling the PC via its EDID that it is a 2 channel device. Don't think you can fix this in the PC but you can use an HDMI distribution box with internal EDID setting to trick your PC into thinking it's connected to a 5.1 device."

Then he links to a couple of HDMI switches. Can anyone confirm that this will work? Anyone tried something similar? It may not be the most elegant solution but a solution nonetheless.

Thanks in advance!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Badge
So I bought a HDMI Splitter (40K@60Hz, up to 7.1 with EDID) to place between my PC and TV, but I only get 2K and stereo options in the PC settings. I tried restarting the PC and TV with everything connected but nothing changes. So somehow the PC doesn't recognize the EDID on the device, or at least not the options available. Anyone tried using HDMI splitters for the same purpose? Any help is appreciated.

Lindy Ultra HD HDMI 2.0 splitter (http://www.av-connection.dk/?PGr=9460)