Playstation 5 5.1 Sonos Surround Sound Not Working

Badge

Hi there, was wondering if someone could help me. 

So I have recently bought a Sonos Arc & 2 SL rear speakers and I have been really happy with the surround sound on the built in apps with my TV (I have a 2021 Samsung QN95A), it has been working perfectly. 

My PS5 however, is a completely different story. I feel like I have been playing around with the settings now for over a week and I still have had no success.

Initially, I have read that PCM is better quality compared to Dolby/DTS within the PS5’s settings so I started with that. When I switch the output device to AV Amplifier and then ‘number of channels’ to 5.1, Sonos was not identifying the 5.1 channel still only picking up Stereo in the app. So I went into the TV’s settings, where the format was set to ‘Auto’, I switched it to PCM and it was the same. I switched it to ‘Pass-through’ and it flashed up 5.1 on the app however the sound cut out and then it went incredibly deep. Everything that was coming out of the speakers was much deeper, the background noise, I booted up COD and all of the voices were super deep. So I am super super confused as to why this is. I have swapped the HDMI for a newer one and I still have the same issue. 

If we then switch over to Dolby/DTS, the speakers output 5.1 but there is half a seconds lag between the video source and the sound output and personally, I can’t play like that. 

Can someone please help me fix this issue with PCM 5.1? As far as I was aware, Sonos now support PCM multichannel. I haven’t read anywhere online of any sound distortion when putting the ps5 into PCM 5.1 with the tv format switched to pass-through. Very very confused. 

Many thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Badge +17

Hi @Theheffernator,

Sonos does in fact support LPCM 5.1, so that shouldn’t be an issue. Setting your TV to PCM will likely not mean LPCM and instead restrict the sound output to Stereo PCM, so Passthrough is the correct option here. As for the sound distortion, I’ve not heard of that issue personally, but it sounds like there may be an issue happening with the decoding of the audio somewhere. Try setting your TV back to Passthrough, and powering off the TV, PS5 and Sonos Arc. Wait 30 seconds and power everything back on again and see if the issue persists. 

Badge

Hi @Theheffernator,

Sonos does in fact support LPCM 5.1, so that shouldn’t be an issue. Setting your TV to PCM will likely not mean LPCM and instead restrict the sound output to Stereo PCM, so Passthrough is the correct option here. As for the sound distortion, I’ve not heard of that issue personally, but it sounds like there may be an issue happening with the decoding of the audio somewhere. Try setting your TV back to Passthrough, and powering off the TV, PS5 and Sonos Arc. Wait 30 seconds and power everything back on again and see if the issue persists. 

Hi James, 

Thank you for your reply. I have just tried what you asked and at first the Sonos wasn’t receiving any audio from the PS5 when it switched back on, I then switched the output from HDMI E-Arc to TV speakers then back again and the Sonos came back on and was still outputting the distorted 5.1.

Could it be an issue with the compatibility with the one connect box on the QN95A?

Many thanks, 

Brandon

Badge +17

Thank you for your reply. I have just tried what you asked and at first the Sonos wasn’t receiving any audio from the PS5 when it switched back on, I then switched the output from HDMI E-Arc to TV speakers then back again and the Sonos came back on and was still outputting the distorted 5.1.

Could it be an issue with the compatibility with the one connect box on the QN95A?

I don’t believe it’s a general incompatibility issue, though it could be an issue with the One Connect Box itself, so I wouldn’t completely rule that out.

As a test, could you try disabling eARC in the Samsung TV settings and see what result that gives? Does it still output 5.1 (check the Sonos app to confirm) and if so is it still distorted?

Badge

I don’t believe it’s a general incompatibility issue, though it could be an issue with the One Connect Box itself, so I wouldn’t completely rule that out.

As a test, could you try disabling eARC in the Samsung TV settings and see what result that gives? Does it still output 5.1 (check the Sonos app to confirm) and if so is it still distorted?

Hi James,

I have just turned E-Arc off however, the output switched from the distorted 5.1 to stereo as the ‘Pass through’ option in the TV’s settings is no longer available. So with the E-Arc off it goes back to Stereo in the Sonos App.

Badge +17

Hi James,

I have just turned E-Arc off however, the output switched from the distorted 5.1 to stereo as the ‘Pass through’ option in the TV’s settings is no longer available. So with the E-Arc off it goes back to Stereo in the Sonos App.

Understood, thanks for trying. I suggest getting in touch with Samsung support to see if there are any adjustments they’re able to suggest, as it seems to me to be a source/conversion issue causing the distorted audio. Please do let me know what they say and/or if you’re able to reach a resolution with them. Best of luck.

Badge

Hi James,

Understood, thanks for trying. I suggest getting in touch with Samsung support to see if there are any adjustments they’re able to suggest, as it seems to me to be a source/conversion issue causing the distorted audio. Please do let me know what they say and/or if you’re able to reach a resolution with them. Best of luck.

Thank you for your help. I have dealt with Samsung before when dealing with other devices and they often palm you off to the device manufacturer. If they refuse to take responsibility and send me back to you guys, what are my options?

Badge +17

Hi James,

Thank you for your help. I have dealt with Samsung before when dealing with other devices and they often palm you off to the device manufacturer. If they refuse to take responsibility and send me back to you guys, what are my options?

If it was me, I would push for an escalation at Samsung. I honestly don’t know if that will lead anywhere as I don’t know their processes nor how their support structure is, but this forum thread is public, so you can let them know that we’ve sent you to them and forward this thread if they’d like to take a look. I do not believe that it’s an issue with the Sonos Arc hence why I’m not suggesting getting in touch with our support teams here. It’s also entirely possible that the issue lies with the Playstation 5, but I’d start with Samsung first as that seems the most likely, in my experience.

One thing I haven’t asked yet - do you have any other HDMI sources such as a cable box, streaming device (Apple TV, Fire Stick, Roku etc) or games console you can test in place of the Playstation? If so, does the issue persist on 5.1 content with the TV set to pass-through? If not, we know it’s the PS5 and you should speak to Sony. If so, then it’s likely the TV/connect box.

Badge

Hi James,

If it was me, I would push for an escalation at Samsung. I honestly don’t know if that will lead anywhere as I don’t know their processes nor how their support structure is, but this forum thread is public, so you can let them know that we’ve sent you to them and forward this thread if they’d like to take a look. I do not believe that it’s an issue with the Sonos Arc hence why I’m not suggesting getting in touch with our support teams here. It’s also entirely possible that the issue lies with the Playstation 5, but I’d start with Samsung first as that seems the most likely, in my experience.

One thing I haven’t asked yet - do you have any other HDMI sources such as a cable box, streaming device (Apple TV, Fire Stick, Roku etc) or games console you can test in place of the Playstation? If so, does the issue persist on 5.1 content with the TV set to pass-through? If not, we know it’s the PS5 and you should speak to Sony. If so, then it’s likely the TV/connect box.

Okay thank you, I will be sure to do that. I do not have any additional HDMI devices that I can use however, I can get access to one over the next few days and will follow up with you once I have an answer. I have already reached out to Sony, this was the first thing I did, and they also requested that I follow up with Sonos.

Badge

Hi James,

Okay thank you, I will be sure to do that. I do not have any additional HDMI devices that I can use however, I can get access to one over the next few days and will follow up with you once I have an answer. I have already reached out to Sony, this was the first thing I did, and they also requested that I follow up with Sonos.

Hi James, 

I have been back and forth with Samsung Support and after a few troubleshooting steps, this is what they have said:

“Thank you for patiently waiting, Brandon. I do apologised about this one upon carefully checking this is a known issue with when Sonos Arc is connected to 2020 Samsung TV via HDMI eARC there is some Sound interruption. This caused by data in Sonos HDMI Signal. Sonos & Samsung are aware & are working to correct their respective platforms. Sonos will correct their implementation of HDMI. Samsung will change the way it processes HDMI information so that if any other third party implements HDMI signalling the same way Sonos has, then we can process without issue. Samsung expects to release a software update including improved HDMI inclusively processing in the first half of 2021. Neither product is “Faulty” but we are working together to make these devices work better within the specified HDMI parameters.”

Thoughts?

Badge +17

Hi James, 

I have been back and forth with Samsung Support and after a few troubleshooting steps, this is what they have said:

“Thank you for patiently waiting, Brandon. I do apologised about this one upon carefully checking this is a known issue with when Sonos Arc is connected to 2020 Samsung TV via HDMI eARC there is some Sound interruption. This caused by data in Sonos HDMI Signal. Sonos & Samsung are aware & are working to correct their respective platforms. Sonos will correct their implementation of HDMI. Samsung will change the way it processes HDMI information so that if any other third party implements HDMI signalling the same way Sonos has, then we can process without issue. Samsung expects to release a software update including improved HDMI inclusively processing in the first half of 2021. Neither product is “Faulty” but we are working together to make these devices work better within the specified HDMI parameters.”

Thoughts?

Thanks for sharing that and following up here.

I’m afraid they may have mixed up a different issue with the one you’ve reported. The one they’re mentioning in that quote is in regard to audio interruptions, as opposed to audio distortion that you reported experiencing in this thread. It may be entirely possible that the two are related, and I definitely won’t discount that possibility. I would still like to know the results of a test with a different content source (i.e. not the PS5) to help narrow things down a bit further - have you had a chance to perform that test yet?

Badge

Hi James, 

Thoughts?

I’m afraid they may have mixed up a different issue with the one you’ve reported. The one they’re mentioning in that quote is in regard to audio interruptions, as opposed to audio distortion that you reported experiencing in this thread. It may be entirely possible that the two are related, and I definitely won’t discount that possibility. I would still like to know the results of a test with a different content source (i.e. not the PS5) to help narrow things down a bit further - have you had a chance to perform that test yet?

I thought that would be the case, I told him that you hadn’t heard of the issue before but he insisted it was common and that they are looking to repair that issue with an update within the year. 

I haven’t managed to do that yet James, I will have access to another source on Saturday so I will get back to you on here once I have that providing you will be on here at the weekend?

Badge +17

I thought that would be the case, I told him that you hadn’t heard of the issue before but he insisted it was common and that they are looking to repair that issue with an update within the year. 

I haven’t managed to do that yet James, I will have access to another source on Saturday so I will get back to you on here once I have that providing you will be on here at the weekend?

Yeah, I’m glad that they’re communicating a timeline on a fix. To their credit, they did issue a patch a few months ago for another, similar issue that seems to have cleared it up so I have no reason to doubt the timescale or that the patch is imminent. One thing to be aware of though - Samsung offer updates via two methods; OTA (Over the air/WiFi) and manual installation via USB. From what I’ve seen, the update package usually arrives first, so perhaps check periodically on the Samsung support site for your model of TV periodically to see if a new patch is available sooner than waiting for the OTA method.

I’ll actually be out of the office from Friday 28th May until Tuesday 1st June, but I will certainly check back on this thread when I return. Alternatively, I can have one of my colleagues respond on Monday if that’s preferred.

Badge

Yeah, I’m glad that they’re communicating a timeline on a fix. To their credit, they did issue a patch a few months ago for another, similar issue that seems to have cleared it up so I have no reason to doubt the timescale or that the patch is imminent. One thing to be aware of though - Samsung offer updates via two methods; OTA (Over the air/WiFi) and manual installation via USB. From what I’ve seen, the update package usually arrives first, so perhaps check periodically on the Samsung support site for your model of TV periodically to see if a new patch is available sooner than waiting for the OTA method.

I’ll actually be out of the office from Friday 28th May until Tuesday 1st June, but I will certainly check back on this thread when I return. Alternatively, I can have one of my colleagues respond on Monday if that’s preferred.

Hi James,

Thank you for that. Where do I need to keep an eye on? Which section of the support website?

I am happy to wait for you to return on Tuesday, no rush. I appreciate your help.

All the best

Badge +17

Hi James,

Thank you for that. Where do I need to keep an eye on? Which section of the support website?

I am happy to wait for you to return on Tuesday, no rush. I appreciate your help.

All the best

Have a look on this site: Samsung Support Centre and put the model number of your TV in the search box (the model number is quite long and contains a lot more characters than just the type of TV - it’s probably on a sticker on the rear of the TV). Then, scroll down to the Manuals & Downloads section where you’ll find the latest firmware versions available for download.

Badge

Hi James,

All the best

Have a look on this site: Samsung Support Centre and put the model number of your TV in the search box (the model number is quite long and contains a lot more characters than just the type of TV - it’s probably on a sticker on the rear of the TV). Then, scroll down to the Manuals & Downloads section where you’ll find the latest firmware versions available for download.

Okay thank you. 

Just out of curiosity, if I buy 2 more One SL’s and have them either side of the Arc in addition to the two SL’s I already have as the rears, will that solve the loss of audio in 7.1 for when I am gaming?

Badge +17

Okay thank you. 

Just out of curiosity, if I buy 2 more One SL’s and have them either side of the Arc in addition to the two SL’s I already have as the rears, will that solve the loss of audio in 7.1 for when I am gaming?

No, I’m afraid not. Sonos doesn’t support 7.1 audio at the moment, so a surround setup is maxed out at a soundbar + 2 Subs + 2 surround speakers. I’ll certainly pass on the feedback that you’d like to have the ability to add extra dedicated speakers for front channels to our development team though; it’s a very popular request :slight_smile:

Badge

Hi James, 

Apologies for the huge delay in my response, I have had a busy couple of weeks. 
My new 4K Apple TV arrived today and I tested it out in the same HDMI port that the PS5 is plugged into and it was playing 5.1 and Dolby Atmos completely fine, same in all the other ports. PS5 is still distorted when switch to pass-through on the tv settings, and Linear PCM 5.1 in the PS5 settings. 
Does this mean it is a specific compatibility issue between the playstation and the Samsung tv?

Badge +17

Hi James, 

Apologies for the huge delay in my response, I have had a busy couple of weeks. 
My new 4K Apple TV arrived today and I tested it out in the same HDMI port that the PS5 is plugged into and it was playing 5.1 and Dolby Atmos completely fine, same in all the other ports. PS5 is still distorted when switch to pass-through on the tv settings, and Linear PCM 5.1 in the PS5 settings. 
Does this mean it is a specific compatibility issue between the playstation and the Samsung tv?

No worries, life happens :smiley:

Yeah, if the Apple TV sounds fine through the same cable/port/audio codec then it does appear to be an issue between the PS5 and the Samsung TV, rather than a compatibility issue with Arc. I think continuing the conversation with Samsung and Sony would be the best path forward here. I wish you the best of luck and hope you come to a resolution quickly.