Player disconnects and cant relocate connect

I have a Sonos Connect connected via Cat-5e to a Netgear GS748T switch, which also my computer I use to run the sonos controller software off of is connected to via Cat-5e. Firewalls is set to whitelist all Sonos traffic however randomly but often enough to have me write this the controller software will disconnect from the Connect than it states "unable to locate a connect". I can only reconnect it once I reboot both the computer and the Connect. This is really causing an issue. Im a Sys Admin by trade but I cant see any issues from networking side or the computer side.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't really understand your setup from your description.

What kind of computer operating system are you using?

Are the computer and the Connect on the same subnet?

Have you assigned the Sonos gear a static/reserved DHCP address?

You mention a firewall, is that a software one on your computer or a hardware one?

Have you tried using a tablet or phone as a controller and does that work when the computer has stopped working?

Could you submit a diagnostic and post the number here so Sonos Staff can get a look at the system internals?
Windows 7 prox64 static 172.16.10.79. connect is static assigned to 172.16.10.02. Firewall is windows firewall. Using Phone/Tablet is just as intermittent as far a connectivity goes but easily reconnects. 738426746
Noble101,

Perhaps see if this old forum thread may help you too...

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/default-netgear-switch-settings-cause-stp-issues-20727
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Windows 7 prox64 static 172.16.10.79. connect is static assigned to 172.16.10.02. Firewall is windows firewall. Using Phone/Tablet is just as intermittent as far a connectivity goes but easily reconnects. 738426746

There's quite a bit of wireless interference showing up. This is causing your speaker to lose connection from time to time. Try placing each of your wireless access points to the same wireless channel, then switch your public wifi network over to a different channel. We recommend using channels 1, 6, or 11 as they do not overlap.
I dont have a Sonos Speaker just a connect. And I dont see why the Wifi interference is even in play as Ive never configured it to be wireless. Its hardwired. This is in a Country club gym.
But i have move the AP to Channel 11 and channel 36
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I dont have a Sonos Speaker just a connect. And I dont see why the Wifi interference is even in play as Ive never configured it to be wireless. Its hardwired. This is in a Country club gym.

If that's the right diagnostic report, your CONNECT is reporting that its ethernet port is not active and that it is connected to your wireless network. If you have any continuing issues, send along a new report and I'll take a look.
Bad network cable to CONNECT?
I tested the cable and got intermittent connectivity on it. I have replaced the cable. Can Sonos please review diagnostic 2098497301 and confirm there is a Ethernet connectivity.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I tested the cable and got intermittent connectivity on it. I have replaced the cable. Can Sonos please review diagnostic 2098497301 and confirm there is a Ethernet connectivity.

It looks like the Connect is connected via ethernet now.
Ok, im going to let it run and follow up next week. If everything is good than we can consider this resolved.