Pioneer PL-41 Turntable setup with Sonos devices?

• 11 March 2019
  • 5 replies

Hi, I have a vintage Pioneer PL-41 turntable and would appreciate some tips on setting up with Sonos devices. I don't have a phono preamp, receiver or speakers and am currently exploring options. I'd also like to be able to stream music (Spotify, SounCloud and Pandora) through the system. I'd like to hear what everyone here recommends for sound and ease of user.
I was thinking of purchasing new Sonos Amp (play turntable and stream music) and purchasing basic phono preamp (believe required?) and maybe pickup some nice speaker (non Sonos). Let me know your thoughts and what you recommend.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I was thinking of purchasing new Sonos Amp (play turntable and stream music) and purchasing basic phono preamp (believe required?) and maybe pickup some nice speaker (non Sonos). Let me know your thoughts and what you recommend.
That would work fine. Also consider a stereo pair of Play:5 speakers instead of the Amp plus passive speakers: that would get you 2 x Line-In connections, amplification, speakers and all the usual Sonos features in a clean and simple package. They sound very good, but you should audition them in order to form your own impressions. A Sonos Sub can be added for even more low-end presence.

The one thing you lose over the Amp is the ability to connect to a TV using HDMI-ARC or digital optical.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi vistasfbay

You'll need a pre-amp between your Turntable and the Sonos product. Sonos products that will accept a turntable are 1) Sonos Connect, 2) Sonos Amp, 3) Sonos Connect Amp and 4) Sonos Play 5.

The Sonos Connect can be used to send audio to other Sonos speakers. It can also be used with an AV receiver/Amp that has phono input and connected to the AV's Line-out to send music to other Sonos speakers. The reverse is also possible with a line-in to the AV receiver to send Sonos music (as a source) to speakers connected to the AV.

The Sonos Amp and Conenct:AMP can be used with 3rd party speakers (replacing an AV Receiver/Amp) to play music from a Turntable. They can in turn send the music to other Sonos speakers.

The Play 5 is a speaker that can accept a turntable via it's line-in. It can paired with a 2nd Play 5 to create a stereo pair. You would also be able to share the music with other Sonos speakers.

Click the link for more information on how to incorporate a Turntable with Sonos: https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/using-a-turntable-with-sonos-6769426/index1.html

Feel free to post back with more questions. Cheers!
So would you recommend setup with a pair of Sonos Play:5 speakers or the Sonos amp with two 3rd party speakers? I believe I would be able to stream music (Spotify, SoundCloud and Pandora) through either system. I guess I would lose out on the ability to connect to a TV using HDMI-ARC as mentioned above ...
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So would you recommend setup with a pair of Sonos Play:5 speakers or the Sonos amp with two 3rd party speakers? I believe I would be able to stream music (Spotify, SoundCloud and Pandora) through either system. I guess I would lose out on the ability to connect to a TV using HDMI-ARC as mentioned above ...
Yes, you get the exactly same Sonos streaming and app control with either setup.

I run both setups: an Amp with a pair of Q Acoustics 3050 floor-standers, and I also have two P:5 stereo pairs, one with a (Sonos) Sub and one without. Personally, I'd say a P:5 stereo pair sounds very good, and I'd choose it over the Amp plus the passives that I have. However, you should try to audition for yourself if you can, and see if it sounds good to you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi vistasfbay

I'm not sure if you were replying to me or pwt :? That aside if you wanted to use a Sonos Amp with 3rd party speakers you could and still connect it to your TV via HDMI_ARC as long as your TV supports the feature. Even if it didn't you could still connect the Sonos Amp to your TV via HDMI using the optional (not supplied) optical adapter. Click the link to see it: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/optical-audio-adapter.html

You could still connect your Turntable (TT) to the Sonos Amp as it would use the Amps RCA inputs. A pre-amp would still be required in between the Sonos Amp and your TT.

Additionally you could still use a Sonos or 3rd party sub. Surrounds would have to be Sonos branded (unless you purchase another Sonos Amp). Buying a 2nd Sonos Amp and 3rd party speakers for surrounds would be expensive, but I don't know your finances.;)

If you fully configured a Sonos Amp with 3rd party speakers (L/R) a Sonos or 3rd party sub and Sonos branded surrounds you'd have DD4.1 theater sound (as the Center channel would be phantom). Music form your TT or thru the Sonos App would be in full stereo. The Sonos surrounds could be set for ambient or full stereo in the Sonos App for music playback. If set to full stereo the switch when playing music would be automatic.

Of course there is the option to go with Play 5's for the TT (or a Sonos Connect). Looks like you've got some thinking to do :8 Let us know what you decide.

Cheers!