Options for bad WiFi

• 7 October 2018
  • 5 replies

Hello,

I recently purchased two play 1 speakers and so far they’re great. One is placed in the living area and one is in the bedroom. They’re set up as standard connecting to my WiFi router.

The WiFi is kinda spotty in the bedroom. The Sonos speaker in there connects to the network 90% of the time. The problem comes when I try to use the Sonos app and my phone and other devices can’t stay connected to the network therefore I can’t control the speaker.

I had tried a powerline wifi extender by TP Link and mirrored the SSID and password however the app would frequently lose connection to the speaker when on the extended network. I know this isn’t a supported setup so no wonder it didn’t work.

I was looking at mesh WiFi systems. Would this work to extend the WiFi to the bedroom so I can access the sonos app? (presumably boosting the signal to the sonos as well for the odd time it drops off the network)

I’d like to avoid getting a Sonos Boost as the connection between the router and speakers is fiNe most of the time so far. But the introduction of an extender of any kind seems to mess it up. (I’m guessing the extender AP is acting as it’s own router and the sonos speakers can’t see each other or the controller) hard wiring to Ethernet is also not really an option as it’s a new house and not wired for Ethernet. My assumption is that a mesh WiFi system would mean that all the devices are on the one network and can all see and talk to each other just like they are currently but with a stronger and more reliable signal?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I use TP power lines all over the house and hardwire devices to them. If you’ve got a TP Link you could try connecting the bedroom Play 1 to a TP Link vis Ethernet, if availability of sockets allows this.

Link the other TP link to the router.

Mine is then rock solid, as they say....
Userlevel 7
Hi D26red

Traveller gave you a good suggestion. However his and the one you've tried are (is) going to cost you...so why not buy the Boost:? It is the recommended setup by Sonos.

As you can see from my signature I have quite a few Sonos products scattered all over my home. My Boost and router (Asus RT-AC5300) are located on the lowest level of my tri-level home with other Wi-Fi enabled products , including 3 computers and security cameras. I have no connection issues with the Boost. Just something to think about. You can always return the Boost if you don't like it. Here's a link on switching from Wi-Fi to Boost: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3209?language=en_US

Cheers!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
You have a few options.

You could go powerline ethernet
You could go for a better/more powerful wireless access point.
You could run structured ethernet cable.

It depends what you need from your network.

Your problem is the controller and your phone's wifi, not the Sonos devices, so the Boost I am not certain will help, nor will ethernet, nor will powerline ethernet.

So you really have one option ;)

You should download an wifi analyser for your phone or pc and look at he surrounding networks and yours you may be fighting with a neighbors wireless that might solve your problem with existing equipment, if not, keep reading.

Another option would be to move your wireless access point (WAP) to the center of your house, that will give you the best coverage it can. The wireless access radiates from the WAP outwards in a sphere. So the center of your space is the best place for it.

If you are using standard consumer grade stuff you could look at something more powerful like a Unifi WAP, but that is a pretty technical thing to configure, so it might not be the best for you. I haven't setup an actual mesh system, but from my understanding that might work for you as well, and they should be easier to configure.

Pound for pound, I have not seen any product that is more powerful for a single AP than a Unifi Pro or LR access point. It makes everything but Cisco or Aruba gear look like a toy.
iDevices must use WiFi, Androids can be configured to use SonosNet. If you are using Androids, a quick solution would be to add one or more additional SONOS units to the system. You'll need to wire one or more SONOS units. Place a SONOS unit about halfway between the main coverage area and the problem area. BOOST is handy if you don't want to locate a player within wiring distance of a network connection.

The cost difference between BOOST and PLAY:1 is minimal. Adding an additional room would be more fun than a BOOST if you can work out the wired connection requirement.

I'm a big fan of SonosNet, but WiFi (Standard Option) is OK to support a few SONOS units. My preference would be to switch to SonosNet and install a WiFi mesh. This is certainly not the lowest cost option, but everything will work better.

I'm also a Ubiquiti fan, but I have not used their mesh setup.

WiFi, SonosNet, and EoP, (Ethernet over Power line) are each competing to be the "magic bullet". Each has its place. WiFi is the most comfortable choice for many users because they have equated "WiFi" and "wireless". EoP can sometimes work a miracle when one needs to extend an Ethernet connection, but it can also be a big pain, especially in very old houses with ancient wiring because large appliances and air conditioning equipment may interfere with the EoP signal.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If considering Standard Mode and a mesh AP setup make sure you have each AP on the same SSID and channel, which Sonos needs but isn't great from a mesh setup.