One speaker from stereo pair stops working

Show first post

161 replies

I know the “canned” Sonos answer to this problem is wireless interference, I have been fighting this problem for almost a year and have tried everything recommended. What I don’t understand, Is why my Play1’s have no drop issues until they are paired? Is there sudden interference once they are paired? It appears to me there is a major bug with the pairing operation, particularly if everything works great until you pair, then it goes to hell.

Any thoughts, explanations or clues are appreciated.

I have 5 pairs of Play:1’s/Sonos Ones. They all run on SonosNet and are set on a channel that is 5 channels away from my central router 2.4ghz channel. I have no stored WiFi credentials in the Sonos App Advanced Settings and have reserved their IP addresses in the DHCP Reservation Table, as mentioned in the threads on this forum. I’ve not had a dropout issue. My Son and Daughter have paired Play:1’s too, though not as many, and they’re not having any such problems either.

So my thoughts are you must have something local that’s causing this issue.

Have you spoken with Sonos Customer Care? A year wrestling with this issue seems much too long to me. I would give them a call.
Badge
I know the “canned” Sonos answer to this problem is wireless interference, I have been fighting this problem for almost a year and have tried everything recommended. What I don’t understand, Is why my Play1’s have no drop issues until they are paired? Is there sudden interference once they are paired? It appears to me there is a major bug with the pairing operation, particularly if everything works great until you pair, then it goes to hell.

Any thoughts, explanations or clues are appreciated.
I am also now having this issue after months of flawless operation. Right speaker is no longer playing audio. Interestingly, the right speaker responds to Alexa commands/beeps/etc, but when I play music I only get the left speaker of the pair... I can’t even break/re-pair them as I can’t discover them from the Sonos app (maybe an iOS 13 bug?).

Volume control from the onboard buttons only affects the single speaker (saying “Alexa, turn it down only affects the left speaker, the one that plays music.. even though the right speaker responds for Alexa)

They are both connected to my WiFi without issue, which is a miracle because 2.4Ghz WiFi is a disaster on all channels here in the city.

a power cycle did not help; they behave the same after coming back on.

Here are their WiFi stats:

Thanks for the heads up. I've followed the guide by checking / changing wifi channel to one with least interference, removing a nearby wifi source, set up SonosNet, changed wifi channel on Sonos etc.

I've reproduced the problem with an optimal setup so have sent another diagnostic report to the customer care team.

That’s okay djgw. Hope the diagnostic submission reveals the root cause of the issue and that the communication with Customer Care can help to get it resolved for you soon.
Perhaps have a read through the two links in my post above and see if that helps resolve the matter. If not, then contact Sonos Customer Care to ask them to have s look at your diagnostic submission.

Thanks for the heads up. I've followed the guide by checking / changing wifi channel to one with least interference, removing a nearby wifi source, set up SonosNet, changed wifi channel on Sonos etc.

I've reproduced the problem with an optimal setup so have sent another diagnostic report to the customer care team.
Same problem here - happens regularly!
Diagnostic report 1458810722

Perhaps have a read through the two links in my post above and see if that helps resolve the matter. If not, then contact Sonos Customer Care to ask them to have s look at your diagnostic submission.
Same problem here - happens regularly!
Diagnostic report 1458810722
This issue happen multiple times a day to me.
report id 1008932623

Have you checked to see if this might be WiFi interference ... there are some useful things to try in these two links:

WiFi Interference

Network Stability
This issue happen multiple times a day to me.
report id 1008932623
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same issue here. Diagnostics sent, #947515115. Thanks

Thanks for the report. I don't see a stereo pair in your diagnostic, and overall your system looks pretty good. I think Ken's advice to give us a call is good. Our phone team can help troubleshoot this with you live.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am having the same problem. Here is diagnostic # 388320624 Thanks.

In your report I see that there is some wireless interference making it hard for your Sonos speakers to keep in sync. This is probably due to your guest network, which is running on the same wireless channel as your main network, which can cause interference. Try changing your guest network's wireless channel to 6 or 11 and see if that helps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am having the exact same issue. I have two Play 1 pairs (plus two singles) and both pairs keep separating. The fix above works, un-pair then re-pair but this is annoying to do each day.

Diagnostics number is 1242515697.

My problem only started with the latest system update.

I have set fixed IP addresses and changed the wi fi channel, with no success.

Thanks for the report. Your Sonos speakers are losing connection from time to time with your wireless network. This can make it hard for your stereo pair to stay in sync. Please try changing your router's wireless channel to 6 or 11 and test things out again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have the same issue - two play 1's - the right hand side one often doesn't play. Diagnostic report 1256881205 - can you help? Thanks

Hi there,

I see some wireless communication errors between your Sonos components. This may explain the issue with your stereo pair. Please try changing the wireless channel your system is using and see if that helps.
Same issue here. Diagnostics sent, #947515115. ThanksThe issues mentioned here were some weeks back. As it’s weekend and the forum is going to be offline for a while this week coming, you maybe best to contact Sonos Support direct via their 24/7 links ... see this link:

Contact Sonos Customer Care
Badge
Same issue here. Diagnostics sent, #947515115. Thanks
I am having the same problem. Here is diagnostic # 388320624 Thanks.
I am having the exact same issue. I have two Play 1 pairs (plus two singles) and both pairs keep separating. The fix above works, un-pair then re-pair but this is annoying to do each day.

Diagnostics number is 1242515697.

My problem only started with the latest system update.

I have set fixed IP addresses and changed the wi fi channel, with no success.
I have the same issue - two play 1's - the right hand side one often doesn't play. Diagnostic report 1256881205 - can you help? Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have the same problem. Two Play 5s (1st gen) configured as stereo pair. Right hand speaker (always the RH) often fails to start when system activated. Won't restore of its own accord. Fix is turn off power, wait a bit and then turn on again. Logged a fault with Sonos. As always, their answer was "wireless congestion", change WiFi/Sonosnet channel(s), move all RF sources nearby. Done all that. Have also locked specific IF addresses on all Sonos units but still the problem persists! Surely Sonos can fix this?

Hi there,

Wireless interference is the most common cause of a stereo pair falling out of sync. Please submit a diagnostic report after this happens, but before any reboots. Reply with the confirmation number, I can take a look for you.
I have the same problem. Two Play 5s (1st gen) configured as stereo pair. Right hand speaker (always the RH) often fails to start when system activated. Won't restore of its own accord. Fix is turn off power, wait a bit and then turn on again. Logged a fault with Sonos. As always, their answer was "wireless congestion", change WiFi/Sonosnet channel(s), move all RF sources nearby. Done all that. Have also locked specific IF addresses on all Sonos units but still the problem persists! Surely Sonos can fix this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, also have this issue. Right speaker in l+r pair keeps going quiet. The touch controls and Alexa on this speaker will still control the system when it’s quiet though. It’s in the same room as the WiFi router. 225545706 Is diagnostics number. Thanks

It looks like there's a bit of interference showing up from a secondary wireless network your router is creating that is on the same channel as your main network. Try changing the network with the "-X" at the end over to channel 11 and see if that helps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same issue with a One speaker in a pair. Incident : 298348780

Hi there,

In your report it looks like you have a Sonos 5.1 surround setup. I don't see a stereo pair. If the stereo pair of speakers isn't showing up in the app, please follow the steps in this guide to get the speakers reconnected.

If you're having trouble with the speakers in your surround setup, take a look around and in between the speakers and see if there are any third party wireless electronics which could cause interference. Common sources of this type of interference include cordless phone bases, wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors and wireless printers. Try moving away from your speakers any such devices you find.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same problem here. Diagnostic confirmation number: 1086432769

It looks like you recently switched your system back to the mesh configuration by wiring in your Bridge. There are still some errors relating to connections to your wireless network. Please head into the Sonos app and go to the settings menu. In the advanced settings page you can click wireless setup to find the option to reset your wireless credentials. Please try this, then reboot your Sonos speakers. Send along a new report if any issues continue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Typo diagnose number should be 1572755521

Thanks for sending in the report. There's wireless interference from nearby networks running on the same channel as your own. This is making it hard for your speakers to stay connected, and your right speaker has lost communication with the rest of the system. Also, you have 2 access points which are running on different wireless channels. Please try changing both of your wireless access points over to wireless channel 6 and test things out.
Hi, also have this issue. Right speaker in l+r pair keeps going quiet. The touch controls and Alexa on this speaker will still control the system when it’s quiet though. It’s in the same room as the WiFi router. 225545706 Is diagnostics number. Thanks