One speaker from stereo pair stops working

Show first post

176 replies

Badge
I’m going to add a “me too” to this thread.
I’ve already given them static ip addresses. Every week or two the RH speaker does not play as described by previous users.
A bit tedious to take time to re-pair.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

The majority of the time when one speaker in a stereo pair stops playing it is due to a wireless communication error between the sides of the pair. Please submit a diagnostic report after this happens, then reply here with the confirmation number.
Badge
Ok, thanks. My report is 714549676. It’s true my new router is not making me happy as well. It’s possible the issue could be connected. Looking forward to further advice.
Badge
I’ll have a look at that. Thanks.
Badge

I'd recommend getting all of your access points on the same wireless channel. Channel 6 seems to be the best in your area. Try that out and let me know how it goes.

Oops, my bad for forgetting your reinforcement of Stanley's solution. Thanks Jeff as well!

Hi!

I have the exact same problem. The right speaker of my setup of two ONEs is silent while the left keeps playing. 

I have two ONEs in the kitchen as a stereo pair and two ONEs in the bedroom as a stereo pair, same issue in both rooms.

The system was working fine with the “old” S1-app and started when i changed to the new S2. 

I’ve tried everything that I can think of, also the above instructions.

Diagnostics report: 1398258530

Mark,

As it is the weekend, you’re not likely to get a response to your diagnostic here in the forums, those folks are M-F. You can wait till Monday, or you have the option to hit them up via Twitter or Facebook, where the support is 24/7.
Having the same issue. Diagnostic # 1235254777
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I’m having the same problem after updating my speakers this morning. The right speaker in my living room pair won’t play. If I unpair, they both play fine independently. If paired, the right speaker won’t play. Diagnostic number is 1924058670.

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay. In your diagnostic report I see that your home network has multiple access points, and that they are running on different wireless channels. This can make it hard for the Sonos speakers to communicate with each other. Please make sure all of your wireless access points are running on the same wireless channel. I'd recommend channel 6 as it is not very crowded.
Badge
Hello, I'm also having the same issue here.

I have a Sonos Beam with Sub and rear speakers (so, 5.1) set up as a room (Lounge) and also two Play:1 speakers grouped as a Stereo Pair at the front, called a different room (Lounge 2), but physically in the same room as the 5.1 speakers, to act as more left/right stereo separation.

In Sonos app, the Room is always grouped so that all of the speakers play together (Lounge + Lounge 2) but I've noticed that the front right Play:1 is often silent. This is one of the Stereo Pair which I added recently to complement the 5.1 Beam system.

There seems to be no reason for that speaker not to work and if I go into the Sonos app and ungroup the rooms, then group them together again, the speaker comes back.

I've tried changing the wireless channel in my router from Auto to channel 6, as suggested above, but it happened again last night.

It's curious that the other people having this issue say that's it's also the right speaker for them too.

I've submitted a diagnostic - Number: 722082023

Can someone look into this for me please?

Thanks

Matt
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
My RIGHT play1 has also gone silent twice in 6months. Unplug & power up again sorted it completely. Maybe the LEFT is the master and send signals to the right of the stereo pair, then there is a network problem and the right drops off. Don't know how long it was silent before I noticed.
Badge
Can anyone let me know what my diagnostics report above said please??
Only Sonos employees can see the diagnostics. You could either call in, or try their support on Twitter or Facebook, or wait here. I would think that on a Tuesday, someone here in the forums would be around fairly soon, I expect Mondays are fairly busy from catching up on the weekend posts.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have the same issue - two play 1's - the right hand side one often doesn't play. Diagnostic report 1256881205 - can you help? Thanks

Hi there,

I see some wireless communication errors between your Sonos components. This may explain the issue with your stereo pair. Please try changing the wireless channel your system is using and see if that helps.
Badge
Hello, thanks for your reply.

So, since then, I've connected both of the stereo pair (Lounge 2) speakers to the router via Ethernet, and disabled WiFi on them, but the problem is still occurring, both when on TV and when playing music.

As before, if I ungroup the rooms and regroup them, the right speaker will come on again, but it will drop off again next time.

I don't understand why this would be, when they're on a wired connection now and not using WiFi.

My router is a Hyperoptic and is fine for everything else.

New diagnosics number is while music is playing and the right speaker isn't working: 361333548

Could you let me know what's going on here please? Thanks, M
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am having the exact same issue. I have two Play 1 pairs (plus two singles) and both pairs keep separating. The fix above works, un-pair then re-pair but this is annoying to do each day.

Diagnostics number is 1242515697.

My problem only started with the latest system update.

I have set fixed IP addresses and changed the wi fi channel, with no success.

Thanks for the report. Your Sonos speakers are losing connection from time to time with your wireless network. This can make it hard for your stereo pair to stay in sync. Please try changing your router's wireless channel to 6 or 11 and test things out again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Won't hurt anything to set static/reserved IP addresses for your Sonos devices from your router's DHCP page, power down Sonos, reboot router, power up a wired Sonos and then your other Sonos stuff at minute intervals. Might help, might not, won't hurt.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am having the same problem. Here is diagnostic # 388320624 Thanks.

In your report I see that there is some wireless interference making it hard for your Sonos speakers to keep in sync. This is probably due to your guest network, which is running on the same wireless channel as your main network, which can cause interference. Try changing your guest network's wireless channel to 6 or 11 and see if that helps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hello, thanks for your reply.

So, since then, I've connected both of the stereo pair (Lounge 2) speakers to the router via Ethernet, and disabled WiFi on them, but the problem is still occurring, both when on TV and when playing music.

As before, if I ungroup the rooms and regroup them, the right speaker will come on again, but it will drop off again next time.

I don't understand why this would be, when they're on a wired connection now and not using WiFi.

My router is a Hyperoptic and is fine for everything else.

New diagnosics number is while music is playing and the right speaker isn't working: 361333548

Could you let me know what's going on here please? Thanks, M

Thanks for trying that. I see some interference on the 5 ghz spectrum which would only affect your rear speakers and Sub. Take a look around those for any electronics which could be interfering with the 5 ghz signal.

For your stereo pair, I see that the errors are with the connection to your Mac. Is your Mac going to sleep while you are playing from it? Please check the computer's sleep settings in the energy settings page of the Mac's system preferences. Make sure it is set to never go to sleep and to not put the hard drive to sleep.

If these steps don't help, it would be best to continue troubleshooting this live with our phone team. You can find our phone number and hours here.
Badge
Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's anything to do with my Mac as this problem occurs whatever the audio source, including Amazon Music, or TV, which has nothing to do with my Mac.

There's no problem with the sub or the rear speakers so wifi interference is not an issue, and the problem is only ever with the right speaker of the stereo-pair, both of which are now hard-wired, so I can't understand why that would be.

Even when I swapped those two speakers round and re-paired them, the problem still occurs with whatever speaker is designated as the Right speaker, so it's not a fault with the unit itself.

I've tried tackling this with Sonos via Twitter but they just keep asking me endless irrelevant questions about my router and wi-fi extenders etc so I don't think I'm going to get very far there....
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same issue here. Diagnostics sent, #947515115. Thanks

Thanks for the report. I don't see a stereo pair in your diagnostic, and overall your system looks pretty good. I think Ken's advice to give us a call is good. Our phone team can help troubleshoot this with you live.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's anything to do with my Mac as this problem occurs whatever the audio source, including Amazon Music, or TV, which has nothing to do with my Mac.

There's no problem with the sub or the rear speakers so wifi interference is not an issue, and the problem is only ever with the right speaker of the stereo-pair, both of which are now hard-wired, so I can't understand why that would be.

Even when I swapped those two speakers round and re-paired them, the problem still occurs with whatever speaker is designated as the Right speaker, so it's not a fault with the unit itself.

I've tried tackling this with Sonos via Twitter but they just keep asking me endless irrelevant questions about my router and wi-fi extenders etc so I don't think I'm going to get very far there....

In this case it would be best to have our phone team take a deeper look. They have more tools available than our online teams. Please give us a call, our phone number can be found here.

Guess what. When I unpaired the pair they work perfectly fine anywhere in the house!. So the issue is a software issue with paired speakers. Can someone from tech support please respond?

Are you maybe running your devices in mixed mode? .. perhaps ensure that your WiFi credentials are not stored in the Sonos app 'Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup'... I don’t understand why you chose WiFi channel 6 either? Did you do a scan of the channels in use nearby using wifiinfoview (or similar software) to discover the least-used channel for your router? Also you will need to set your SonosNet channel to a completely different channel to the one in use by your router... Set that SonosNet channel at least 5 channels apart from your routers WiFi channel to avoid overlap of the signal.. it’s not just all simply about wiring your speakers, as the signal still needs to get through uninterrupted.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I believe it is the left speaker that does all the lifting, and passes right channel only to the stereo paired partner, keeping them in sycn etc. So check what electronics are between the two. Mine are on bedside cabinets with a wireless phone and clock radio between them. This is the only problem I ever have, and then it's only every 6months...so far....I wonder if updates kicks it off....