Answered

One of the rooms in my house keeps jumping to the source of another room

• 1 February 2017
  • 5 replies

I have an Echo dot going into the line in of my Play5 in my bedroom. I've grouped it with my living room (Playbar plus SUB) before, but it's not grouped now. I'll be listening to Sirius radio as the source in my living room, for example, and all of a sudden it just jumps to the line in source from my bedroom - totally randomly, and it happens periodically throughout the day. I'm not sure if Alexa is "waking up" for some reason and starting to play something, but it shouldn't matter; because as a result of this problem also occurring in the bedroom (play5 just starts playing randomly in the other room), I always have that on mute. I can't figure out why this is happening.

I'm going to start removing culprits, one at-a-time, like unplugging the Echo Dot and see if it keeps switching sources, and maybe even reset the controller; but this is really getting annoying.

This is pretty much a call-out, to see if anyone else has seen such funkiness.
icon

Best answer by ratty 1 February 2017, 23:07

Disable Line-In Autoplay in room settings.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Disable Line-In Autoplay in room settings.
I'm with ratty on this. I suspect what is happening is that the Dot is hearing something that it's interpreting as a command, and is starting to play, and since Line-In Autoplay is turned on, it's automatically switching to whatever is being output.

My dot in my living room has been responding to my TV recently, even more so now that I've changed the trigger name to be "Computer". I tend to watch a lot of the Science Channel as well as Star Trek, and it's amazing how often the word "computer" is used. Gets some interesting responses in the app, to be sure. I hope at some point that Amazon can figure out a way to lock it down to just my voice. I definitely had to move it from "Alexa", since it was responding to all of Amazon's commercials for the product. 🙂
I'm with ratty on this. I suspect what is happening is that the Dot is hearing something that it's interpreting as a command, and is starting to play, and since Line-In Autoplay is turned on, it's automatically switching to whatever is being output.

My dot in my living room has been responding to my TV recently, even more so now that I've changed the trigger name to be "Computer". I tend to watch a lot of the Science Channel as well as Star Trek, and it's amazing how often the word "computer" is used. Gets some interesting responses in the app, to be sure. I hope at some point that Amazon can figure out a way to lock it down to just my voice. I definitely had to move it from "Alexa", since it was responding to all of Amazon's commercials for the product. 🙂
Thanks all. I realized shortly after posting this that I had line in autoplay on. Didn't even know I had enabled that option. And yes, it was (all the way in my bedroom) hearing something that sounded like "Alexa". I turned it off & no more problems. Now, to think of a word that won't cause the dot to wake up 🙂
slomofo, I feel your pain. It's unfortunate that there are so few "wake" words for that system. I originally used "Alexa", but had to stop when they started advertising, and my Echo system kept hearing the commercials. I've moved over to "Computer", because I'm a huge Star Trek nerd from way back, but since I watch a lot of stuff on The Science Channel, it's triggering off of that word too. I'd love there to be a way to "lock" it down to my voice only, but I suspect that would be difficult, since there's not enough smarts in the device itself to do that, and if they were to send all the data to a backend to do analysis, there'd be privacy concerns that would be more valid than they already are. If they would implement a way for us to define a wake word, that'd be great, too. Of course, I'd probably end up being like John Perry in Scalzi's "Old Man's War" and name mine an inappropriate name, but it'd be fun.