No Surround Sound - Panasonic VT60 HDMI-ARC

• 9 September 2018
  • 8 replies

I am trying to setup Surround sound on my home theater system. I have a Sonos Beam, Sub, and 2 rear speakers hooked up through a Connect:AMP. My television is an Panasonic VT60 which does have HDMI-ARC. I have my X1 cable box plugged into my TV into HDMI port 1, and the sonos plugged into the the TV HDMI Port 2 (HDMI-ARC port) but only Stereo sound is being output to my home theater system. I have enabled the settings in the TV (Viera Link) for ARC functionality. I have searched in various settings in the X1 Box, the TV, and Sonos settings to get surround working and nothing seems to work. From what i have read the TV should passthrough Dolby Digital. Any assistance would be appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, MJK101. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. Attempt to play audio to the 5.1 system and while audio is being played to Sonos, submit a diagnostic report. Be sure to reply here with the confirmation number it gives at the end. Thanks!
Hello,

I submitted a diagnostic report with audio being played.

Report ID is 1173271116

Thanks for your help!
Userlevel 7
Hi MJK101

Just an FYI...If using Connect:AMP to power rear speakers as surrounds your Sonos setup must be in Boost mode.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2237?language=en_US

Cheers!
Hello AjTrek1,

I am in boost mode. WM:0. All Audio still in stereo.

Best

Mike
I am remodeling my house right now and doing prewiring. I was planing on doing the same thing with beam as fronts, Sub, and either ConnectAmp or new Amp to power rears. Did your issue get resolved? I would like to know what wires need to be run as my equipment will not be near my TV... My plan so far:
HDMI to TV with video source
HDMI-Arc connection to Beam from TV
Any additional wiring to run surround sound on Amp?
Issue not resolved yet but I think the issue is the TV. I'm only getting stereo passing to the Sonos system. When I play music via Spotify to the system it plays all channels including rears and it sounds great.

You can follow instructions on this site to create the mesh network between your beam , sub , and amp. If your rears are wired like mine then that's the only wiring you will have to worry about .

Mike
Hi - has there been any fix on this. I have exactly the same setup and exactly the same problem. I have checked all settings and still only stereo. Please help. Thank you
Hi - has there been any fix on this. I have exactly the same setup and exactly the same problem. I have checked all settings and still only stereo. Please help. Thank youNot sure this is a Sonos issue, more likely the TV does not pass-through a Dolby Digital 5.1 audio signal. See this website that discusses such issues albeit there is no such test carried out on this specific Panasonic model:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5-1-surround-audio-passthrough

I would check with Panasonic Support and if no joy, then perhaps look to resolve the issue with an A/V splitter where you can link the audio source (Cable TV box etc.) direct to the Sonos Home Theatre Receiver, rather than passing the audio through the TV ports.