Question

New Modem/Router With Boost

• 27 September 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4
OK.. If this question has been answered before I apologize, and if you can point me to a link. After fighting and fighting with Comcast about my download speed to my Netgear Router 55MBPS, when I was paying for 150 Down, I finally bit the big one and went back to their CISCO router, Well Whatta you know 156MBPS down, Funny how that works. Anyway my issue is that I have a Boost, not sure if I should be plugging one of my 12 Sonos speakers directly into the new router first, then restarted them all, then putting the boost into the router. Things are playing but not all at the same time, dropouts etc. Just think I need to do a little something more here. I thank you for reading and for any advice you might offer. Scott.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Thank you both very much for your replies
Userlevel 7
Hi MrMookie123

The Boost creates what is a called the SonosNet which bypasses your home Wi-Fi (just to keep things simple). A speaker plugged into your router creates the SonosNet as well. The only reason to use the Boost module is if wiring a speaker back your router is inconvenient. Also, you should follow the instructions here since you changed routers.

Let us know how things sort out. Cheers!
You are more than likely experiencing IP conflicts, due to the new router handing out IP adresses that were already assigned by the old router. After a router change, it is important to do a complete network refresh. Do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next.