Answered

New ARC storms the network when i try to set it up for first time

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi, My new ARC when i plug it into the power and wired network, the S2 app says it needs a update. The update does not happen because its in WiFi mode and it storms the network. All other SONOS devices on  network are wired.

Is there anyway to set it up as wired before it tries to update ?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 25 May 2021, 14:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Tried a different room, i get a 1013 error everytime it tries to update.

I have unplugged all other sonos devices, so this new arc is the only sonos device on the network.

All ports are open, no firewall, no other apps trying to update, i have hit a dead end with this one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @brianthesnail 

Thanks for your post!

Do you by any chance have a Virgin Media Super Hub 3.0? There is a known issue with this device whereby multiple Sonos units wired directly to it with ethernet will produce this issue. The fix would be to either not wire that new unit, or to wire it via a network switch.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi No i don't, its a business , managed network covering two buildings with Ubiquiti Wifi points 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @brianthesnail 

Then I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

If you want to sort it - do it yourself,

OK heres the fix for a 1013 error on a large complicated network, with all ports open by the IT department. THere has never been any update problems in the past 2 years.

A new ARC just would not update. spent 5 hours on this.

So i created a new Wifi Network using a small Huawei Simcard 4G wifi router, so it was connected to the internet and created a new network.

I Factory Reset the ARC- holding down the button while plugging the power supply in for about 30 seconds until it flashed green.

I added it to make a new system on this new network - you need to reset the app to do this.

Once added it asked to update - it updated fine, first time. So once updated. I turned off the new network, unplugged the ARC - and Factory Reset it, added back to the original network, it had already updated so a new update was not required !! - Job done added the sub and surrounds. 

Case closed

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @brianthesnail 

I’m glad you got around the issue, though it really doesn’t sound like you actually fixed anything - I would expect the same issues to come back either the next time you update, or the next time you add a speaker.

I recommend trying the changes to settings on your UniFi system outlined here:

Error 1013 is an issue with the controller losing connection to the speakers during the update process, so it seems the issue is more to do with the app communicating over UniFi to the system than just the system not updating, if that makes sense.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi Corry,

Yes i agree, its not fixed, i just have enabled a work around to force the update to provide  some sleep time and less stress. 

I tried a Android phone for the update and i still had exactly the same 1013 error which surprised me.

Our network is managed by a local IT company so every change has to be done through them at a cost.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi@brianthesnail 

Yes i agree, its not fixed, i just have enabled a work around to force the update to provide  some sleep time and less stress. 

That’s a good enough reason!

Our network is managed by a local IT company so every change has to be done through them at a cost.

Unfortunately, this may be the only answer. If you do get in touch with them, I recommend you also give them the following info:

- IGMP Snooping: This feature “filters” the network so only information intended for a device is forwarded to that device avoiding Network Flooding especially on networks that either have many devices or move high volumes of information. This should be on.

- STP: Some network devices, mainly switches, use this to calculate and arrange the connections, however, Sonos also has it's own STP setting and they could change the values of each other. You would need to adjust the STP of the network so both STP can work together:

Sonos STP Switch Settings

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2118?language=en

- Firewall: Configuring your firewall to work with Sonos    

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/688?language=en

- QoS (Quality of service): This can determine how media devices can reach out and could block Sonos. It would need to either be disabled or have no restrictions for Sonos.

- UPnP Multicast needs to be enabled.

- If the speakers need to be whitelisted on the network and you need the MAC Address, you can find the MAC for each Sonos device using the serial number and removing the last character. I.e. Serial number AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF-G, MAC  AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

The Problem is certainly the Unifi Wireless network, all my Sonos items are hard wired to the wired network. Its always my 1st port of call to disable WiFi on a new Sonos device. 

They all work great on a wired network, which covers 3 buildings, faultlessly i can have 8 devices all in sync all day everyday. 

So its understandable that im a little cautious about making changes to the Unifi network, we have 4 base stations to cover the whole site.

All its going to take is a  `Roam` or a `Move` and I'm going to have to bite the bullet ! 

Thank you for your help with this Corry. I now know what needs to be done.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @brianthesnail 

You are very welcome!

If you ever bond any surrounds or a Sub to your Arc, you’ll need to turn on the Arc’s WiFi for it to work. Stereo pairs and Subs being bonded to other kinds of speakers would also prefer this, though wired connections will be sufficient for these (unlike TV audio, music/radio can be prebuffered).

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

The Arc is working on the WiFi in the house fine, when i tried the update in my office - another building - it stormed the wifi and network.  Very strange because the network is all linked to all buildings.

The Arc now has one sub and two 5s for surrounds. Sounding great, but that little option to `add another sub` toggle is causing me concern, two is always better than one !

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@brianthesnail 

Yeah, it sounds like concern :joy:

That’ll be the new Dual Sub option. At least one Sub must be a Gen 3 for it to work.