Network Matrix - mac addresses out by 1?

• 6 June 2018
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
One for the techies....

I'm just going through all the mac addresses on my Sonos kit to fix IP addresses on the router and noticed that the mac addresses reported in the network matrix are one digit different to the actual mac address of the kit.

So, if I go to http://192.168.0.5:1400/support/review

I get, for example

Garage (RINCON_000E58XXXX0201400)

This is the correct address for the zone, and it shows as an attached device with this 02 mac address in my router diags.

But on the network matrix, the mac address is shown as:

00:0E:58:XX:XX:03

It's the same for all my zones - the last pair of each mac address in the matrix is one digit higher.

I'm running a mix of hardwired and Sonosnet.

I'm not having any issues incidentally, just curious.

Cheers

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
So of course, having just posted this, the answer was given in the list of related topics that popped up!

So, now I know.
If you have a PLAYBAR/PLAYBASE you'll also find that the 5GHz interface has a MAC which is +2 with respect to the br0 (internal) interface.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Thanks ratty

Since you're here, do you recommend fixing IP addresses just for the actual Sonos hardware or is it worth doing it for all associated kit (PC desktop controller, iPhones etc.)?
Thanks ratty

Since you're here, do you recommend fixing IP addresses just for the actual Sonos hardware or is it worth doing it for all associated kit (PC desktop controller, iPhones etc.)?

The more reserved addresses the better.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Ok, ta
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I usually assign/reserve IP addresses for anything that multiple devices connected to my network will be using, or anything that needs a port forward from my router (so the address doesn't change, making my port forward useless). So my NAS (used by multiple devices AND has a port forward for Plex), my Sonos devices (used by multiple devices), my printer (multiple devices), my game console (port forward), VoIP phone (port forwards)... these are all things that have static addresses on my network.

My phone, tablet, and computers I don't usually reserve addresses for. It's not hard to get them disconnected and reconnected if some kind of conflict arises.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Since it is so easy to reserve addresses I do pretty much everything, also makes the logs easier to read with names for each device and always the same IP. I even have the grandkids bag of electronics assigned addresses because that makes any device showing up and asking for a DHCP Pool address stand out and I can decide if it is a problem or not.

Now that we are getting IPv6 that whole DHCP / DNS thing gets a lot harder on that side.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I usually assign/reserve IP addresses for anything that multiple devices connected to my network will be using ...
I do the same - printers, NAS, Sonos devices, managed switches, pool controllers, home automation gear, etc... I'm on the fence about moving to IPv6 at home though. I am at close to 80 devices on my Class-C LAN at the moment, so I have room but over time more and more devices will be added to my network.