Answered

Need help! Low volume when connecting Sonos to Projector (and Chromecast)

• 1 November 2018
  • 1 reply

Hello Sonos Community!

My Sonos volume is very low when I use it to play audio from my Projector, and I have trouble hearing it because it's so low.

Here's the situation: I have a Sonos Play 1 and Play 5. I have the Play 5 (old model) hooked up to a BENQ Projector via a Mediabridge 3.5mm Male To Male Stereo Audio Cable. I use Chromecast in order to have my projector show what's on my computer screen. However, even when I have the volume turned all the way up (on all devices) the volume is super low (a lot lower than when I use my Sonos to directly play Spotify music). Can someone please provide help on what I can do to fix this? Sorry that I'm not a super techy person, and thanks so, so much for the help!

Summary:
Computer Chromecasts to Projector
+ Projector connected to Sonos Play:5 via Audio Cable
= Can barely hear Sonos even when everything is at full volume

Max
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 1 November 2018, 21:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hello Sonos Community!

My Sonos volume is very low when I use it to play audio from my Projector, and I have trouble hearing it because it's so low.

Here's the situation: I have a Sonos Play 1 and Play 5. I have the Play 5 (old model) hooked up to a BENQ Projector via a Mediabridge 3.5mm Male To Male Stereo Audio Cable. I use Chromecast in order to have my projector show what's on my computer screen. However, even when I have the volume turned all the way up (on all devices) the volume is super low (a lot lower than when I use my Sonos to directly play Spotify music). Can someone please provide help on what I can do to fix this? Sorry that I'm not a super techy person, and thanks so, so much for the help!

Summary:
Computer Chromecasts to Projector
+ Projector connected to Sonos Play:5 via Audio Cable
= Can barely hear Sonos even when everything is at full volume

Max

Hi Max,

Welcome to the community. Have you tried playing from a different line-in audio source, such as a smartphone or tablet? Do other devices have sufficient volume? If so, there maybe a volume output setting on the projected that can be adjusted. I can also take a look at the projector if you reply with its specific model number to see if it needs a preamp or something similar.

You can also try adjusting the line-in level to see if that helps. That option is found in the settings menu of the Sonos app under advanced settings.

If the volume is low for all line-in sources, you might try a different audio cable, or double check to make sure the cable is fully inserted at both ends.

Finally, if you send in a diagnostic report while the audio is playing, then reply with the confirmation number, I can take a look at it for you.