Question

My Cloud Home Search By Artist Jump to Letter

• 16 July 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge

I am considering investing in a WD My Cloud Home NAS now that Google Play Music has announced they are shutting down. I realize there is a limitation for selecting music is by Artist, Album or Genre only (not by folders). I can live with By Artist IF my iPad interface will have the  ability once I select By Artist to click on a letter (i.e. ‘S’) to jump straight to artists with names stating with that letter.

Does anyone use My Cloud Home with an iPad controller that can answer this question for me?

Thanks guys!

Traned

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Traned

The source of your music is irrelevant as Sonos will index as per the ID tags in the files found in the location you specify.

As to your specific question

As you can see this is what I get on the S2 app on my iPad. So on the right hand side you can click the desired letter and the list will jump to the start of the artist list starting with that letter. Obviously what is listed will depend how you have recorded the artist. So as you can see I record artists as First_name Last_name eg Celine Dion so if I want her albums I hit “C” whereas composers (mostly classical) I record Last_name, First_name eg Schubert, Franz so if I want his records I hit “S”.

Also note that Sonos removes the leading “The” from artist names so “The Beatles” becomes “Beatles” so you find them under B and NOT T.

Hope this helps

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The source isn’t completely irrelevant: for music services, whether alpha-jump is supported depends on the service, and most services do NOT support it. Ref: https://developer.sonos.com/reference/sonos-music-api/getscrollindices/

Local Library does support alpha jump.

Does the WD My Cloud Home look like a Local Library to Sonos, or a Music Service you have to add?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The source isn’t completely irrelevant: for music services, whether alpha-jump is supported depends on the service, and most services do NOT support it. Ref: https://developer.sonos.com/reference/sonos-music-api/getscrollindices/

Local Library does support alpha jump.

Does the WD My Cloud Home look like a Local Library to Sonos, or a Music Service you have to add?

I actually have no idea what Alpha jump is at all!

I’m sure I used to have a WD My Cloud Home and that was just an external drive hosting my library. I assumed the OP was referring to a My Music library and I meant that the LOCATION of the Music Library is irrelevant.

Obviously if we’re talking Music Services then presumably all bets are off as the services determine how the integration with Sonos works?

Badge

To be clear, I want to use My Cloud Home as a service, not as Music Library. I am hoping that using it as a service will get around the 65K track limit that Music Library has. I use Plex also and it gets around the 65K plus allows “Alpha Jump”, however, it is not stable on my network and constantly loses connection. I know many people have this issue with the 65K limit on Music Library, regardless of the type of NAS they use, that is why I need to use My Cloud Home as a service, but I want to be sure it has “Alpha Jump” otherwise if I have to scroll through my entire library by artist I will never get to hear anyone with a name starting greater than S ;>)

Hope this clears things up.

Badge

Does anyone use My Cloud Home as a SERVICE ? I am trying to understand how well the search by artist works on the iPad controller. Any feedback for this scenario is appreciated.

Traned