Moving speaker to another room and not working

• 28 January 2019
  • 9 replies

Badge
So I have a playbar and 2 x Ones in my lounge.
I’ve added 1 x play 1 in the kitchen.
Trouble is when I plug the play 1 into mains in lounge it’s all good and the speaker and group is found.
Unplug and take to the kitchen and it drops off and can’t be found or connected.
I’m tearing my hair out...!!!!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
No WiFi router is other side of the house so router won’t find it, too weak a signal.
Sadly it’s up for sale now.

Last suggestion...

I know it's an extra expense but have you considered buying another Play 1 and connecting it to your router? Some will spend the extra for a speaker vs the Boost (which doesn't play music) because they feel it's a better investment. That's assuming the router isn't in a closet and you wouldn't mind having music on that end of your home. You can always return it (Play 1) if it doesn't resolve your issue.

Cheers!
Badge
No WiFi router is other side of the house so router won’t find it, too weak a signal.
Sadly it’s up for sale now.
Userlevel 7
Hi, yes as originally said works fine in the lounge with the router and all the other speakers, move it and plug in the kitchen and it disappears.

Can you not wire a speaker as you said the router is in the same room (lounge)? Have you tried placing the Play 1 in another area of the kitchen? It's rare that a Kitchen would be completely blanketed in all areas. Also, microwaves, security cameras, baby monitors or other Wi-Fi devices can cause interference. Are any of those in the kitchen area?

There is one more option...actually two...

1. Return the Play 1 for another one if still within the exchange window to see if it suffers the same issue. If it doesn't then the other was defective.
2. Submit a diagnostic, post the reference ID in this forum and then call Sonos Tech. You may have a unit with a defective Wi-Fi card. Click the link on how to submit a diagnostic: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141?language=en_US

Cheers!
Badge
Buying a boost means extra expense. I’ll just give up and do back to the old radio in the kitchen I think!!
Userlevel 7
I suggest you setup your Sonos is Wired mode . You can wire a speaker to your router or use the dedicated Boost module for better flexibility regarding speaker placement. Wired mode uses the SonosMesh provides a stronger signal. The link below will walk you through switching from wireless (standard mode) to wired (boost mode).

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/support/setting-up-sonos

Cheers!
Badge
Hi, yes as originally said works fine in the lounge with the router and all the other speakers, move it and plug in the kitchen and it disappears.
It is a signal issue making my new speaker an expensive paper weight!!
Userlevel 7
Hi stevenlindow

Thanks for explaining your situation. If you are not grouping the speaker but only shifting its position in your home (while leaving it plug into then same outlet) then you have still have a network issue. The signal from your router is being blocked or experiencing an extreme amount of interference when in the kitchen corner. To test this try plugging the Play 1 into another outlet in another room to see if it shows up in the Sonos app. Post back with results.

Cheers!
Badge
I’m not sure of half of what you are talking about really......
If I plug the play 1 in by the kitchen door and pull the speaker round the corner in the hallway neared the lounge speaker it will work.
Soon as I put it back in kitchen corner it drops off and the ‘kitchen’ speaker doesn’t even show...?
Userlevel 7
Hi stevelindow

This answer assumes you only have one network running in your home and/or that an AP (if being used) is not in DHCP mode which could be grabbing the Play 1.

If you are grouping the Play 1 to the speakers in lounge you must ungroup it before you move it to the kitchen in order for it to be found as a stand-alone speaker.

Cheers!