Modifying a Sonos Sub?

Userlevel 2
Anybody ever open up a Sonos Sub unit? I ask because I need a much bigger sub for a large room, with a Playbar.

As I understand it, only a Sonos sub will mate with a Playbar, and thus I'm looking to open one up pull an analog (or digital) audio signal out that I can send to an amp and sub combo.

Just wondering if its been done before, or if I should start taking pictures.

19 replies

Userlevel 1
If the room is as big as you imply (some figures would be useful) what makes you think a Playbar is suitable in the first place?
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Are you aware how loud a Sonos Sub can really be? I would indeed think that the Sub can fill bigger rooms than the Playbar.

So your setup somehow does not fit together. I wouldn't really mess around with a 699$ device, rendering it possibly useless and voiding the warranty.
Userlevel 2
In the interests of playing along. Room 14'x21' with a 26' ceiling, so yeah its a big room.

Pretty familiar with both components, have installed dozens. Playbar will be fine, its not a Home Theater, just the Living Room. The Media Room is in a different spot, and doesn't have a Playbar.

Not really worried about the $699. I mean, I don't want to waste it, but the costs to modify the sub will exceed that by a degree or two.

So, anyone seen the inside of one of these?
Even if you located an analog signal it would be post-crossover and probably substantially equalised to cater for the drive unit characteristics.
Userlevel 2
Yeah, but we could correct for that. Not ideal, I agree, to boost a signal just to cut it, but what am I going to do. Sonos doesn't have a custom program.
Userlevel 1
Are you not yet starting to think that perhaps Sonos isn't the right solution in this case?
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Isn't there a way to use a Connect AMP, which has a Sub-out from the start? Of course the AMP will not be enough / be needed at all. It will however never be possible to use it in a 5.1 setting.
Userlevel 2
Yes, normally I'd agree with you. There's a reason I haven't done this before. Its certainly not the only way to skin this cat. But in this case, its the easiest, at least I think so right now.

If it doesn't work, I may use a Sony ES receiver, and the new "Music Connect" feature, with a custom soundbar. But, I haven't spent any time playing with that feature yet either, and don't know the caveats.

"Are you not yet starting to think that perhaps Sonos isn't the right solution in this case?"
Userlevel 2
In fact I am using a Connect Amp, for the rear channels, but I don't believe the Sub out is usable in that configuration. Actually, I'm sure that its not.

"Isn't there a way to use a Connect AMP"
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
In fact I am using a Connect Amp, for the rear channels, but I don't believe the Sub out is usable in that configuration. Actually, I'm sure that its not.

How that? I have no AMP, nor do I know what comes out of that output, but it is certainly easier to adapt than what you are planning.

Apart from that, I think it is the completely wrong setup. If only music is concerned, I would use 4 (or more) "serious" speakers, or maybe even ceiling speakers, and 1 (or 2) suitable Sub(s), attached to a powerful Amp. If the customer (you are not doing that for your self, right?) wants the "ease of use" of Sonos, a Connect will integrate the system into Sonos.

There is NO Playbar which can somehow cover that room.
How that? I have no AMP, nor do I know what comes out of that output, but it is certainly easier to adapt than what you are planning.
When a CONNECT:AMP is configured to drive surround speakers its Sub Out and Line In jacks are disabled. In any case the content sent to the surrounds will be lacking the .1 bass channel.
why don't you get 2 playbars and 2 subs. or a playbar, 2 play:5s, and 2 subs? or any other combination over the ridiculous plan of modfiying the sonos sub.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
When a CONNECT:AMP is configured to drive surround speakers its Sub Out and Line In jacks are disabled. In any case the content sent to the surrounds will be lacking the .1 bass channel.

I was more thinking about a "Group" with the Playbar, as TV surround seems not to be necessary here.
Userlevel 2
Because I'm trying to have the end result be just like using any other room in a Sonos system. It shouldn't look like a science fair project, or a kludge, even if it is one. It can't act like one either.

"why don't you get 2 playbars and 2 subs. or a playbar, 2 play:5s, and 2 subs? or any other combination ..."
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
So the standard Sonos principle of grouping is too much?

If you really want one room, my Connect suggestion would be the easiest and most flexible.
Userlevel 2
"If only music is concerned..." but its not. The way the Playbar seamlessly switches from TV to music use is quite nice. And the sound is quite good, not amazing, but good nonetheless.

The Sub on the other hand is a handicap IMHO. Nowhere near as good as I need to be. I'm not surprised, its also priced very competitively for the market, I just need more.
Userlevel 1
"If only music is concerned..." but its not. The way the Playbar seamlessly switches from TV to music use is quite nice. And the sound is quite good, not amazing, but good nonetheless.

The Sub on the other hand is a handicap IMHO. Nowhere near as good as I need to be. I'm not surprised, its also priced very competitively for the market, I just need more.

You mean as loud as it needs to be. Can't help thinking you're trying to boost the output of the sub so much it's just going to overwhelm the Playbar, it won't be able to keep up with that kind of volume.

Oh and please learn to use the quote button!
Userlevel 2
The affect of room volume on a speaker has a whole lot to do with how directional the speaker is. It affects subwoofers a whole lot more than the front channels. Surrounds can also be greatly affected, some types more than others.
Userlevel 2
I might be wrong here but maybe worth checking. Is it possible to run a connect unit with sonos speakers? Ie for example the soundbar. My thinking would be to use the RCA out on the connect to drive an active sub of your choice. Most active subs will be auto on/off so the connect would start it up, you then have to play with the sensitivity settings and volume etc to make it sound ok with the playbar.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings