Answered

max speakers allowed?

• 10 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi all. I can’t find this answer.

I have 30 independent SONOS speakers, some old play 1, some new sonos one. 
I want to add more but as-is, i can never select “everywhere” and have all speakers just play. It takes an hour to cycle and never really plays them all. I have to play a couple at a time then add more as I go.

is there a max amount of speakers allowed on one system?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 10 September 2021, 09:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

• If using a SonosNet connection only, position speakers so that the Sonos matrix entries all show green (not quite so important these days).

This could result in unnecessary unicorn chasing. Active connections in the matrix should usually perform fine when yellow, and also when orange if there’s not much interference and the grouping demands are modest.

Yes indeed, I should have mentioned that, thanks @ratty. My aim was focused on trying to demonstrate that a decent wireless/network environment is needed to stream audio to so many products located around a Home, and yes a matrix with yellow, or perhaps orange squares showing, may indeed work fine. Thanks for clarifying the point.👍

• If using a SonosNet connection only, position speakers so that the Sonos matrix entries all show green (not quite so important these days).

This could result in unnecessary unicorn chasing. Active connections in the matrix should usually perform fine when yellow, and also when orange if there’s not much interference and the grouping demands are modest.

It is 32 devices per Sonos Household and you can have multiple Households too on one Wireless network, but if your devices are not all playing together happily, then I would begin with the following (not an exhaustive list)…

• Ensure the router and ISP provided service is reliable and reasonably quick enough to handle audio streaming, or the chosen locally held music source is capable of delivering the audio stream in a timely manner and with sufficient bandwidth (best if local music library source is wired to the LAN).
  • Choose a modern Sonos device with faster processor and more memory as the group controller.
  • Ensure the local wireless network and/or SonosNet are each running on the least used ‘non-overlapping’ WiFi channels.
  • Set the routers 2.4Ghz band to use a channel-width of 20MHz only.
  • Have no other wireless devices (especially WiFi access points) within one metre of each Sonos product.
  • (Optionally) reserve the Sonos products IP addresses in the routers DHCP reservation table.
  • If using SonosNet, remove the WiFi credentials stored in the Sonos App network settings assuming no portable devices like ‘Move’ or ‘Roam’ are being used and set the SonosNet channel so it is at least 5 channels away from the chosen routers 2,4Ghz channel
  • Not use any wireless extenders, additional access points or power-line adapters.
  • Consider repositioning, or wiring, devices that are problematic, or out of signal reach.
  • If using a SonosNet connection only, position speakers so that the Sonos matrix entries all show green (not quite so important these days). Attached image is an ‘example’ of the type of thing to aim for. Matrix is accessible via a web browser to a system ‘player’ using this example URL: http://<sonos_ip>:1400/support/review
  • Do not have lots of people milling about the home as bodies of water can disrupt the wireless signals between devices

32 devices. Here is an older topic about that.

But from what you’re saying, it sounds like you have some sort of wifi interference going on. While there might be a slight delay when “discovering” all 30 speakers, it shouldn’t be an hour by any stretch.