Long room, TV set, and stereo separation

• 9 February 2022
  • 3 replies

Hello!

I have a relatively long room.

My TV is on one side. I’m looking at buying a home cinema set (Arc + 2 One + sub, or Arc + 2 Five).

The problem I have is when using the speakers to listen to music and being somewhere else in the room. Sound power is more than adequate, but I can’t really enjoy stereo sound since both soundbar and surround speakers are on one side of the room.

I am thinking of buying additional speakers and place them at the very opposite side of the room, where the kitchen is, or on the two sides of the table. However, I would like to profit from the rich set of speakers on the TV side.

Any suggestion on how to optimize the setup?

3 replies

Userlevel 7

I would add a pair of Ones or Fives along the wall by the dining table OR install two in-ceiling speakers above the dining table and possibly add a One or Move in the kitchen. A Move would allow you to have a portable option to take out to the balcony.

The home theater setup is exactly what I have in mind. I’m waiting for those to be delivered.

Unfortunately, I can’t mount in-ceiling speakers.

Two Ones for the dining area are what I thought about (I’m not sure whether they’re better placed the way you showed, or rather each on the two opposite sides of the table).

However, how should I set channel separation (compatibly with what Sonos allows)? I’m guessing it would be nice to have all speakers on the “top” side of the room (ARC + one of the two Ones) playing the left channel, and all speakers on the “bottom” side of the room (two surround One SLs and the additional One) playing the right channel.

But does that make sense, and is that even possible?

I would add a pair of Ones or Fives along the wall by the dining table OR install two in-ceiling speakers above the dining table and possibly add a One or Move in the kitchen. A Move would allow you to have a portable option to take out to the balcony.

Userlevel 7

Two Ones for the dining area are what I thought about (I’m not sure whether they’re better placed the way you showed, or rather each on the two opposite sides of the table).

It depends on what you want to achieve. It would make more sense to set the Ones up as a stereo pair and place them along the top wall. If you placed the Ones on opposite sides of the dining table facing each other, a stereo setup would probably sound odd for someone seated at the table. Keeping them as mono speakers in this setup and grouping them in the Sonos app would make more sense.

However, how should I set channel separation (compatibly with what Sonos allows)? I’m guessing it would be nice to have all speakers on the “top” side of the room (ARC + one of the two Ones) playing the left channel, and all speakers on the “bottom” side of the room (two surround One SLs and the additional One) playing the right channel.

But does that make sense, and is that even possible?

This isn’t possible. The Arc/Sub/One SLs setup will act as its own room or zone. When playing TV audio, it will act as a 5.1.2 home theater system. When listening to music (and the surround audio setting for music playback is set to FULL in the Sonos app) the Arc alone will play in stereo and the two surround speakers will also play in stereo. You cannot set the Arc or pair of surround speakers to just play one channel.

The two Ones in the dining area will be a separate room or zone (unless you keep them as separate mono speakers). If you have them set up as a stereo pair, one of the speakers will play the left channel and the other speaker will play the right channel. When you group the Arc room with the pair of Ones room in the Sonos app to play the same audio out of every speaker, the channel separation will remain the same as if they were ungrouped.