Line In: New No Delay Local Mode

• 14 February 2013
  • 38 replies

Userlevel 1
I'm using a Connect to switch between TV audio (line-in) and other traditional Sonos sources. I find the minimum 70ms delay on the line-in input to be maddening. While it occasionally works out that audio/video are reasonably sync'd, more times than not the Connect noticeably degrades A/V sync. Additionally, if other televisions are on in adjacent rooms (common occurrence) the delay in the Connect creates an obvious audio sync problem between devices. After having read the forums, etc. I understand some of the technical reasons for the delay; I’m not proposing we violate the laws of space/time. What I am proposing is a dual-mode line-in function. The primary mode would work exactly as it does now (ability to share Connect line-in with all Sonos components). The secondary mode would be a local only mode (no sharing) and would forgo the analog to digital conversion process and simply provide direct analog amplification for the line input. This would completely eliminate the line in delay problem! This may involve a hardware design modification in addition to a software change, but I consider it a must have. I'm fairly new to Sonos (2 months) and the system generally has exceeded my expectations. However, I consider the line-in delay issue a major shortcoming.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

SONOS WAKE UP. Purchased Sonos equipment for $1,500 today and I`m very disappointed that there is no delay option using Connect on a high-end stereo and the Sonos speakers in other rooms. How does this post has 16,000 views and this feature is still missing? Is this a moderated community - I would hope for a reply from Sonos, would hate to have to return all the equipment which otherwise is stellar.:@
SONOS WAKE UP. Purchased Sonos equipment for $1,500 today and I`m very disappointed that there is no delay option using Connect on a high-end stereo and the Sonos speakers in other rooms. How does this post has 16,000 views and this feature is still missing? Is this a moderated community - I would hope for a reply from Sonos, would hate to have to return all the equipment which otherwise is stellar.:@

This thread has nothing to do with your post. It is about eliminating the delay on the line-in on a standalone unit, not the delay due to a receiver DSP modes delaying the output of a Connect.
He posted the same thing in another thread. Borderline spamming, IMHO. And why didn't he do any research before plunking down that money?
So why not just put a note next to the line-in feature to say that there is a delay which makes it unsuitable for any live audio replay?
Like a warning that says "Crunchy raw unboned real dead frog". Makes sense.
Or one could do research beforehand, and never have to buy the item to see the disclaimer on the back.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't find it unusable for live audio. The delay to me doesn't effect lip sync - I just have to turn down TV speakers.

If the cap fits wear it. If Sonos think this feature is so bad they don’t want to tell people about it, they should fix it. If they can’t be bothered they should at least make people aware.

If the cap fits wear it. If Sonos think this feature is so bad they don’t want to tell people about it, they should fix it. If they can’t be bothered they should at least make people aware.

They tell people about it all the time. It's right here on the Line-in support page:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1091

Uncompressed line-in uses the WAV format which can put a lot of strain on your network if you are in a Standard Setup and have a lot of Sonos players. A benefit of using Uncompressed is that there will be very little delay from the source and the audio. With uncompressed line-in, the delay is about 75ms.

. . .

Compressed line-in uses the SBC codec which is much less taxing on your home network at the expense of having a longer delay between the source and the audio. With compressed line-in, the delay is about 2 seconds. When using line-in for use with AirPlay, an additional delay of half a second is introduced.

So if people are "not aware", it is their own fault. Can't think of a better place to make people aware than the actual page that instructs you how to configure and use the Line-in feature.
[quote=jgatie]Like a warning that says "Crunchy raw unboned real dead frog". Makes sense.

If the cap fits wear it. If Sonos think this feature is so bad they don’t want to tell people about it, they should fix it. If they can’t be bothered they should at least make people

So if people are "not aware", it is their own fault. Can't think of a better place to make people aware than the actual page that instructs you how to configure and use the Line-in feature.

Yes it’s at the bottom of about the third page. That’s like saying we all should read all the small print on our insurance policies. It would never have occurred to me that a line-in input in a speaker would have a delay on it, so I’m not really going to be looking for it in the small print. Perhaps if they had highlighted it in bold as you have...

Yes it’s at the bottom of about the third page. That’s like saying we all should read all the small print on our insurance policies. It would never have occurred to me that a line-in input in a speaker would have a delay on it, so I’m not really going to be looking for it in the small print. Perhaps if they had highlighted it in bold as you have...

As the old sage Oscar Wilde used to say - Righteous indignation is the last bastion of defense for a failure. 🆒
Userlevel 1
The lag is real and problematic. I use a TV with line-in connected to a Play:5 with the volume on the TV off. So only Sonos plays the sound. My wife doesn't notice the 70ms delay, but I do. People's voices are behind and it bothers me a lot.

I tried this video to test the sync delay (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_PbyRpKrRk) and if I turn on the volume on the TV I hear two distinct beeps, really bad.

There is an audio delay function on my TV, but it doesn't make any difference, I can set it from 0 to -60ms.

I understand and appreciate what the speaker is doing, but for this use case, it's pretty bad. I'd like to see an official answer if this is something that just can't be turned of with a setting.
I found a solution to this: simply set the Line-in to "uncompressed" in the line-in settings. It's the compression that is causing the delay.

It helps but there is still delay, though less than before.