Line In: New No Delay Local Mode

• 14 February 2013
  • 38 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

The speaker is worthless for playing guitar out from an iPad which is what I'm trying to do. I would love to have my money back to have a cheaper solution.
Indeed I did. Thanks for the info.
The speaker is worthless for playing guitar out from an iPad which is what I'm trying to do. I would love to have my money back to have a cheaper solution.
Thank you for clarification.  You mean the queue, not a playlist.  This thread may be of interest:

https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/simply-want-it-to-play-next-track
When I click on a song I want it to just continue playing out to the rest of the album. Currently you have to add the album or songs to the playlist the pick the song you want to listen to.
Could you clarify what you mean by 'an alternate way to play music without the playlists'. I wasn't aware that Sonos could only play playlists so I must be misunderstanding something.
Yeah John you smart a**, we paid a crazy amount for a simple speaker with at least the hope it was more flexible. I've been whining since 2009 for an alternate way to play music without the playlists (like every other app on the planet) and haven't been grwnt d that wish either so I'm not holding my breath.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
John B, This thread is for wining about what Sonos easily could do (firmware update) but don't. It doesn't need a counter winer telling us it doesn't do what we want it to do.
So you bought a multiroom network hifi system when you wanted something completely different?
Exactly John B. Anyone but Sonos.
I wouldn't even have considered Sonos if it wasn't for the line in option. I'm just sad the Sonos team isn't good enough to program it so that when I'm not synching line in with other rooms, it will go straight through to the speaker without the delay. 
Who doesn't want synch between the video and audio on their TV? They even have a special TV speaker so don't say line in is just incidental. 
Complements HD television screens with richly textured HiFi sound.
The recent speaker (play1) is a small budget speaker, that's why it doesn't have line in (just like play3).

The Playbar's primary function is as a TV sound bar.  It cannot perform that function without a wired connection.  The comparison to the line-in on a Play:5 is entirely bogus.  You may choose to think of the Play:1 and Play:3 as "budget" speakers.  I see them as part of a range suited to different room sizes and types.  Let's agree to differ on that one.

You are perfectly entitled to lobby for any feature you like on Sonos.  My only objection to your original post was your conclusion that the Play:5 "sucks".  You have expressed your view and I have expressed mine.  Again, let's agree to differ.  Life is too short to spend any more time on this one. 
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Exactly John B. Anyone but Sonos.
I wouldn't even have considered Sonos if it wasn't for the line in option. I'm just sad the Sonos team isn't good enough to program it so that when I'm not synching line in with other rooms, it will go straight through to the speaker without the delay. 
Who doesn't want synch between the video and audio on their TV? They even have a special TV speaker so don't say line in is just incidental. 
Complements HD television screens with richly textured HiFi sound.
The recent speaker (play1) is a small budget speaker, that's why it doesn't have line in (just like play3).
Johan.  Anyone can design a single speaker system with no lag.  The lag is there to allow multiroom syncing for playing music.  The P:5 is an excellent speaker.  The line-in is a relatively incidental add-on (that Sonos haven't thought worth including on more recent speakers)
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
This Sonos speaker (play 5) sucks. I had a $30 speaker that performed perfectly with no delay connected to my sons drums before. It's impossible to keep the beat now that the drums are connected to the play5. Do I really need two speaker systems in his room?
I'm not sure this is relevant to what you are saying, but I am using a Connect:Amp and a TV with no noticeable delay.  I watch TV, the TV audio goes to the Connect:Amp and out through speakers wired to the Amp.  The lips seem matched pretty well.  I did this by using the headphones jack on the TV to RCA cable, then plugged the RCA cables into the inputs on the Amp.  Since I never use the built-in TV speakers and I always use the wired speakers for sound, this works really well for me.

There's also the added bonus that I can control the volume by using the TV volume, since it's tied to the headphone jack.  I also have the Amp set the source input to the TV as soon as it detects a signal on the line-in.  So I can turn on the TV and watch it, and control volume without having to touch the Sonos app.

Like I said, this may be something totally different than what you are trying to do - if it helps, then excellent.