Answered

Large Room with two groups - which group should have the sub?

• 16 June 2020
  • 2 replies

My man-cave in the basement...think Sports Bar.  Wet bar, pool table, bar stools,high  sofa, a couple high-tops, and one big TV.  Currently have a Playbar mounted under the TV and a couple One’s in the corners at the other end of the room.  

Configuring it as one room doesn’t work for me because the One’s can only be “surrounds” and can’t be full-time, full-range.  Also, we can’t Airplay to the Playbar.  Surprising that Sonos has these limitations but those topics have been beaten to death in other threads and I don’t want to rehash them here.

So, I’m using two rooms in a group with the “ungroup” options disabled so they stay together as much as possible.  I can Airplay & change sources, all pretty seamlessly….the only nagging issue now is that the TV remote doesn’t control the “group” only the Playbar.  Again...a surprising limitation but hashed and re-hashed in other threads.

My questions:  I’m adding a Sub and want to know which “room” I should add it too for the best overall performance.  I believe that when a sub is added to a room, the system is smart enough that the smaller speakers in the room will stop trying to produce the lower frequencies and focus on the mid & upper thereby enhancing their performance.  So should I pair the sub with the Playbar or with the 2 One’s?  I’m assuming I can’t tell both “rooms” that there’s a sub and have them adjust accordingly (but it would be awesome if I’m wrong.)

Also, am I correct in assuming that Trueplay wont’ do me much good since my physical room is actually two Sonos rooms?

icon

Best answer by John B 17 June 2020, 00:38

There is really only one possible answer to this. Try it different ways and see which you prefer. We can't hear what your room sounds like and we may not share your preferences. 

Have you tried the Ones on FULL setting for music and the relative volume slider turned up?

Or maybe the room just needs more speakers. 

View original

2 replies

There is really only one possible answer to this. Try it different ways and see which you prefer. We can't hear what your room sounds like and we may not share your preferences. 

Have you tried the Ones on FULL setting for music and the relative volume slider turned up?

Ones on FULL setting for music and the relative volume slider turned up?    Tried that.  Problem 1 is that I can’t Airplay because the Playbar is the “hub”.  Problem 2 is that the volume and content of the “rear” channels varies so much from media to media that you constantly have to adjust the relative volume with every song or program change.  I’m more interested in “set-and-forget”.

More speakers?  I don’t think so...The room is only about 500 square feet.  The Playbar, a pair of One’s, and the sub will be plenty of sound.  It’s already pretty good without the sub but I want to really feel the base.

Try the two options and see for myself?  That’s probably good advice and I certainly will.  But I thought there might be a best-practice or technical answer that would be helpful.  For example, I was thinking that maybe the Playbar does better with the low frequencies than the One’s….so maybe pairing the sub with the One’s would be better so they don’t have to worry about the lows.