HU80KA projector addition

• 27 November 2021
  • 3 replies

I’m looking to move to a rear projection situation and I’d like to pick some brains before jumping in. 

I currently use a Sonos Amp to power floor speakers and as an interface for a turntable. I’d ideally like to move these to the rear and use these floor speakers as the surround satellites which would bring the Amp close to the projector with a Sub and Arc up front. Does this situation make sense? Do I need to hardwire the Arc to the projector for full atmos and the rest of the surround drives from that or can the Amp push this out? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I’m looking to move to a rear projection situation and I’d like to pick some brains before jumping in. 

I currently use a Sonos Amp to power floor speakers and as an interface for a turntable. I’d ideally like to move these to the rear and use these floor speakers as the surround satellites which would bring the Amp close to the projector with a Sub and Arc up front. Does this situation make sense? Do I need to hardwire the Arc to the projector for full atmos and the rest of the surround drives from that or can the Amp push this out? 

You would need to cable the Sonos Arc directly or indirectly to the projector using HDMI-eARC to get support for all the Atmos formats like DD TrueHD (Atmos) and DD+ (Atmos). The Arc is usually ‘bonded’ to the Sonos Sub and Amp/speakers over an ad-hoc 5Ghz WiFi connection between the players and the Arc itself manages these connections.. this diagram below which uses an HDFury Arcana audio extractor/splitter and HDMI Switch is quite a common option for connecting the Arc to a Projector:

Yes, it mostly makes sense, with the caveat that if you’re using the Sonos Amp to power speakers for surround purposes, the line in is turned off, so you would lose the ability to listen to your turntable. 

The Arc needs an ARC or eARC signal (as does the Sonos Amp, if used ‘in front’) in order to play the sound from the projector. There are extraordinarily few projectors that creat an ARC or eARC signal, which likely means some sort of a device such as the HDFury Arcana to drive the audio signal going to the Arc. Your Sonos Amp would ‘bond’ with the Arc across a 5 GHz signal to drive the surround signal, so there would be no cabling there necessary. 

There are many similar posts about this type of situation, if you’re interested in reading many more comments along similar lines.  Probably a good search would be ‘Arc Projector’. You’d like pick up a lot of threads using that, even given the frequent oddness of the search function on this forum. 

Edit: I type more slowly than @GuitarSuperstar 

Userlevel 7

This setup will work. Ideally the Arc needs to be connected directly to the projector’s HDMI ARC port. The Sub and Amp will communicate with the Arc wirelessly.

NOTE: By using the Amp as surrounds, it will disable the line-in on the Amp. So you will need to find another way to connect your turntable.