Answered

How to configure 5.1 using macbook and Sony Bravia

• 6 January 2019
  • 1 reply

Hi Folks,
I have a Sonos surround setup (play base + sub + 2 x play:1s) connected to a Sony Bravia.
With this setup I successfully get 5.1 sound coming from Netflix (native TV app) and from xbox one (connected to the TV via HDMI).

I also have a Macbook (connected to the TV via HDMI) which I use as a media center to watch movies.

I am struggling for awhile to make the Macbook to send 5.1 audio via HDMI to Sonos. No matter what I try the Macbook can only recognise 2 channels and therefore only sends stereo via HDMI.

I have done the due diligence, tested and confirmed the TV had HDMI passthrough enabled and the Macbook is capable of sending 5.1 via HDMI.

It seems the Macbook gets the information about the number of audio channels from the TV (which has only 2) and ignores the possibility of a surround system being connected to the TV via optical cable.

Any ideas of how to get around this?
icon

Best answer by Keith N 22 January 2019, 23:03

This might be better suited for the Apple Community as you will more likely find Mac experts who can find ways around the conversation happening between your Macbook and your TV.

For what it's worth, I saw a member on here who was trying to do something similar on an older MacBook and was using a Mini-Display port to HDMI converter. This proved to be the snag that kept audio from being sent out properly. How are you connecting your Mac to the TV? Is it a direct connection between the Mac and TV?
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
This might be better suited for the Apple Community as you will more likely find Mac experts who can find ways around the conversation happening between your Macbook and your TV.

For what it's worth, I saw a member on here who was trying to do something similar on an older MacBook and was using a Mini-Display port to HDMI converter. This proved to be the snag that kept audio from being sent out properly. How are you connecting your Mac to the TV? Is it a direct connection between the Mac and TV?