High-res audio - bypassing SONOS bitrate limitation

• 12 August 2021
  • 8 replies

Hi there,

I’m new to the platform and I don’t know if this question has been asked before.

At the moment I'm using a SONOS PORT hooked to my Denon 3313 receiver. I use a coax cable for the connection.

The maximum bitrate of the SONOS PORT is set at 16bit/44.1kHz. The Denon receiver, however, has a maximum bitrate of 24bit/192kHz.

I would like to know if - by using the coax connection - I can bypass the SONOS PORT's internal DAC and use the Denon's DAC. I guess this is possible. However, will this also enable me to use the higher Denon bitrate of 24bit/192kHz, and thus bypass the SONOS bitate limitation of 16bit/44.1kHz .

I'm looking forward to your input and many thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Thx for sharing this video. 

This will do the trick. I’m just gonna connect my apple iPad to my Denon using the lightning cable to usb.

Next thing I need to check is if I can start Apple Music on my iPad and subsequently change songs with my iPhone. TBC.  

Thanks Ratty for your reaction.

I’m currently using Deezer, but I’m considering to switch to Apple Music. Since Apple offers 24bit/192kHz music, I want to stream in highest possible bitrate (call me foolish, but I believe I can hear the difference). 

If the above setup doesn’t work, would interposing a Denon DNP-800 do the trick ?

If you’re looking at getting Apple 24bit/192kHz ‘lossless’ streaming audio into your Denon DAC/Amp then perhaps see if this short YT video link below may help you at all?

You can of course also use your Sonos Port alongside the connected iOS input device, as another entirely separate audio source for your Denon Receiver/Speakers, not least for all the available streaming audio sources that Sonos has to offer aswell, albeit that audio is currently just upto 24bit/48kHz, but even that’s more than plenty for most folks hearing ability, including mine, as I’m human and from the planet Earth.🌏 ha ha.😂

By interposition I meant skipping the Sonos and replacing the Sonos Port with the Denon DNP-800. 

Thus a combination of the Denon DNP-800 + Denon 3313. 

On that I couldn’t comment, as it’s outside the Sonos ecosystem. 

Hi Ratty,

By interposition I meant skipping the Sonos and replacing the Sonos Port with the Denon DNP-800. 

Thus a combination of the Denon DNP-800 + Denon 3313. 

I’m currently using Deezer, but I’m considering to switch to Apple Music. Since Apple offers 24bit/192kHz music, I want to stream in highest possible bitrate (call me foolish, but I believe I can hear the difference). 

You should rent your ears to the highest bidder then. No-one else can consistently tell the difference, given the same content in either CD or ‘Hi Res’ formats. What people interpret as a ‘night and day’ difference can typically be explained by a remastering. 

By all means choose a service based on features, catalogue, recommendations and so forth, but not on some mythical feeling that larger numbers mean it’s somehow better. Higher bit depths and sampling rates have their place in the production chain, but those clever chaps at Sony & Philips actually got the 16/44 CD format just about right in terms of a final delivery format compatible with the capabilities of human hearing in domestic listening environments. 

If the above setup doesn’t work, would interposing a Denon DNP-800 do the trick ?

Interposing anything between Sonos and Denon won’t help. Besides that Denon unit is a streamer in its own right.

Sonos cannot stream Apple music at 24bit/192kHz.  If your Denon can, then I would stream Apple music from something other than Sonos and bring it directly into your Denon.  I don’t see the reason to send the audio through a Port or any other Sonos device since Sonos can’t do anything with it.

Thanks Ratty for your reaction.

The Port’s S/PDIF is 24/44.1. By definition that bypasses the internal DAC. But to generate a digital output Sonos needs first to decode the content. Sonos supports up to 24/48 content, depending on the source. 24-bit is available from local FLAC/ALAC files and from the Qobuz service. So, no, you can’t magically extract 24/192 from somewhere.,

But I have to ask: why would you want to decode 192kHz content? You do realise that this means audio containing up to 96kHz, whereas a typical human can hear no higher than 20kHz (and distinctly less as we age and subject our hearing to loud concerts). Unless you’re non-human you won’t appreciate the ultrasonics.

Don’t fall for the numbers game. Sit back and enjoy the music.