Answered

HIFI to Play 5 Set Up

• 13 March 2021
  • 8 replies

Hi,

I’m considering purchasing a Play 5 to connect directly to my HIFI. I have a Naim NAC122x amp. Could anyone please advise how I would hook the speaker up and what type of cable I would use?

Many thanks,

icon

Best answer by Belly M 13 March 2021, 18:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The only way would be connect a line out cable from one of the amp line outs into the Play 5 3.5mmline in. So depending on the outputs on the amp ride need a two phone make to 3.5mm stereo cable

Badge +20

Your Naim NACs are redundant in this scenario, you would take the output from whatever preamp you are using to the Play 5.

Edit… apologies… that’s the combo. You can use one of the in/outs via a Din lead but have to ask what you are trying to achieve

Your Naim NACs are redundant in this scenario, you would take the output from whatever preamp you are using to the Play 5.

Isn’t the Naim NAC122x a pre amp?

Badge +20

I corrected myself, it’s the combo amp and power in a box jobbie 

ah rats… Bloody Niam with their naming YES it just a PRE.

anyhoo… it has a bunch of in / outs available

Hi, thanks for your response. I have a NAP 150x amp and NAC 122x pre-amp. I think that bockersjv suggestion of two phono to 3.5mm should work? Do you have any idea how I would set up if I elected to have a pair of play 5’s? Do I just have a hardwired connection to one of those speakers? Many thanks.

The only way would be connect a line out cable from one of the amp line outs into the Play 5 3.5mmline in. So depending on the outputs on the amp ride need a two phone make to 3.5mm stereo cable

Many thanks for your response. That makes sense. Regards

Badge +20

Hi, thanks for your response. I have a NAP 150x amp and NAC 122x pre-amp. I think that bockersjv suggestion of two phono to 3.5mm should work? Do you have any idea how I would set up if I elected to have a pair of play 5’s? Do I just have a hardwired connection to one of those speakers? Many thanks.

You just hardwire to one of the Sonos 5  speakers, you pair them in the Sonos App.

Before I make a couple arse of myself…. looking at the back of the NAC122x you will need a DIN to 3.5mm NAC122x. Using No. 3 marked Tape in/out

You just hardwire to one of the Sonos 5  speakers, you pair them in the Sonos App.

Before I make a couple arse of myself…. looking at the back of the NAC122x you will need a DIN to 3.5mm NAC122x. Using No. 3 marked Tape in/out

Great, many thanks for your help. Regards