Question

Help for Wi-Fi network and boost network configuration

• 31 August 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge
Hi
I configured my playbar and 2 play1 systems but i don't know if they are connect in my Wi-Fi home network or are connect in private sonos net (boost).
In the app i don't have configured Wi-Fi network.
I've connected playbar whit router by cable and after I add play1 for sorround
In the sonos app., playbar and play1 have my local network IP address. It's correct for a boost config.?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Wiring any component triggers Boost mode. But if you check the app under About my Sonos system, WM:0 indicates Boost mode, WM:1 a wifi connection.

IP addresses are irrelevant to this.
Badge
ok
When I go back at home, I'll check
thanks a lot
I think you may also see WM:2 for the surround speakers, indicating that they are receiving data via their 'bond' to the Playbar.

IP addresses are irrelevant because your router is still handling that aspect - in Boost mode you have a single subnet with two segments, a SonosNet segment and a wifi segment. The cabled device allows the two segments to talk to each other. No Sonos device generates IP addresses in this setup.
Userlevel 2
Badge
IP addresses are irrelevant because your router is still handling that aspect - in Boost mode you have a single subnet with two segments, a SonosNet segment and a wifi segment. The cabled device allows the two segments to talk to each other. No Sonos device generates IP addresses in this setup.
This isn't actually correct - it's a single broadcast domain (e.g. all devices respond to the same broadcast address), so a single segment. What you do have is multiple wireless radios - but if you have a dual band router, you have that anyway. It's all L2 managed in terms of preventing network loops; the trouble usually is that if you wire two devices, and they're both on SonosNet, now a packet has two paths to reach its destination - and network loops are bad. Very bad.

The number of problems that would be solved related to STP and compatibility with network topologies if the SonosNet actually used its own broadcast domain and was a routed VLAN, or Sonos enabled L3/OSPF in the Sonos devices, is astronomical.
In my attempt to avoid baffling network jargon, it was reasonable to talk of "segments", as SonosNet and wifi are distinct at the layer 2 data link level. I said that IP addresses were 'irrelevant' to counter the OP's surprise at finding that his Sonos speakers, in Boost mode, had IP addresses from his router - which of course is to be expected as this is at layer 3. That is, whether you are in Boost mode or not, IP addresses come from the router, and so seeing router IP addresses gives you no relevant information as to whether you are in Boost mode or Standard mode.

Just as an aside, to a router all the Sonos units will appear to be wired, including those on SonosNet, because all IP requests arrive via the wired Sonos component.

As to loops, wiring more than one Sonos device rarely causes problems in practice because most routers handle it happily through STP. Of course there are exceptions, as several threads on here testify.

There, now you've made me use a load of jargon.
Badge
Thanks guys
I checked and all systems are configured VM:0
:)

regrards