headphone use with arc speaker- hard of hearing elderly parent

• 15 June 2020
  • 4 replies

I have an elderly parent with poor hearing. I need to phase headphones work at the same  time as The Sonos arc speaker. I know I can use an optical connection but this limits the benefits of the arc speaker, no Dolby atmos, etc. does anyone know of any tv that would allow me to use Sonos arc with full capability, have earc connection- AND allow me to use headphones at same time? Or know of a creative workaround or solution?? There must be other people in a similar situation? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

4 replies

Most TVs have an optical connection in parallel with HDMI. A simple option is to connect a Bluetooth transmitter to the optical feed, in order to send to the headphones independently of the Sonos speaker. Ideally choose a Bluetooth aptX Low Latency solution to preserve lip-sync as much as possible.

Thank you. My understanding is that this solution, however, prevents teh use of Dolby Atmos. Is that your understanding?

Thankyou.

Thank you. My understanding is that this solution, however, prevents teh use of Dolby Atmos. Is that your understanding?

I’m not sure why it should, unless the TV constrains its HDMI-ARC output based on what’s going out the optical.

I’m talking about an optical feed of downmixed PCM stereo in addition to an HDMI-ARC/eARC connection to the Arc.

Thanks again. I will check with the people at LG and my audio tech people again. They said they cannot both run at same time without the dolby atmos not working. Thank yo for your assistance.