Answered

groups

• 25 August 2019
  • 3 replies

in our backyard, we have an area with a pergola, table and wall mounted outdoor TV. We also have another area with a fire pit and seating. The idea is to setup a Sonos Amp for the area with the TV, another Sonos Amp for the area with the fire pit and another Sonos Amp for a couple other speakers around the yard. We would essentially have a zone named TV that would allow audio just in that area, a zone named fire pit that would allow audio just in that area and then a zone named backyard that would allow audio on all three Sonos Amps. This would give us the option to only have the game playing in the direct area of the TV, have music playing on.y by the fire pit if we are relaxing in that particular area or have audio playing in the entire backyard for parties. Eventually we may also incorporate an additional Sonos Amp or two for the side yard or front yard.

Is this scenario feasible or not? Our current multi-zone system is outdated and difficult to operate properly.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 25 August 2019, 04:32

Other than the group named backyard, yes, that's feasible. Essentially, each "area" becomes a "room" in the Sonos software and is serviced by its own Sonos Amp. Then you'd just need to group the three "rooms" at the point in time that you want all three "rooms" to play the same thing. It's just a few strokes in the Sonos controller app. There's currently no system for having named groups.
View original

3 replies

Other than the group named backyard, yes, that's feasible. Essentially, each "area" becomes a "room" in the Sonos software and is serviced by its own Sonos Amp. Then you'd just need to group the three "rooms" at the point in time that you want all three "rooms" to play the same thing. It's just a few strokes in the Sonos controller app. There's currently no system for having named groups.
So I could have 5 Amps each named:

Pergola
Fire Pit
Backyard
Side Yard
Front Yard

And then if I want audio from the game on the cable box (connected to an input on one of the Amps), I would just select which Amp I want it to play on? Then if I’m playing a station or playlist on Pandora or whatever for a party, I could select all of the above Amps? Then as the party dies down and it’s just a handful of people sitting around the fire, I could unselect all of the above except Fire Pit?
Yes, that's the way that Sonos is designed to work.