Group two rooms

• 26 November 2022
  • 15 replies

Hi, I only have two rooms in my system but I can’t create a permanent group with them. The group option is greyed out and it says I can only create groups when three or more rooms exist. What is the purpose of this limitation?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7

Because it isn’t necessary. There is already an “Everywhere” option when you tap the group icon.

The option to save a group is not really creating a permanent group. You are just creating a shortcut to group speakers. The “Everywhere” option would be the shortcut to group your two rooms.

Actually, I don’t think ‘everywhere’ shows up until you have at least three rooms in your system. 

Actually, I don’t think ‘everywhere’ shows up until you have at least three rooms in your system. 

This is correct.

And the reasoning remains the same.  There is no benefit in having an “Everywhere” option in a two-room system, when all you need to do to play on your whole system is a single tap, to add in the speaker that is currently not selected.  No functionality is lost.

For those who use Spotify app, can you see your saved groups as Spotify connect devices ?

For those who use Spotify app, can you see your saved groups as Spotify connect devices ?

HI. There is no possibility of Spotify or any other service using these named groups. As @GuitarSuperstar said, they are just shortcut button presses.in the Sonos app. There is simply no object for an external app to use 

It is really confusing because from Spotify app, I can create groups of two sonos speakers (in the spotify connect devices list). When doing it from my Beam 2, it redirects me to Sonos app on a hidden page where I can build the group but when doing it from my One SL it redirects me to the AppStore to download de Sonos S1 app !

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What hidden page?

Did you follow this: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/group-and-ungroup-rooms

When you play from the Spotify app you are not really using the Sonos system   You are using a bunch of Spotify Connect enabled speakers with the Sonos logo on them.

But it is still probably best to build the group in the Sonos app

Actually my need is to start playing music from spotify app directly into a group, without using the sonos app. I understand that it si not currently possible because it requires:

• Ability to create a group in a two rooms system
  • Support of groups in spotify connect

thanks

Actually my need is to start playing music from spotify app directly into a group, without using the sonos app. I understand that it si not currently possible because it requires:

thanks

Do you use the ‘group rooms’ feature in the Spotify App? - it’s available from the triple dot ‘elipsis-like’ menu options, next to each speaker in the Spotify ‘connect’ screen (see attached animated.gif) 

@mrfish 

Sorry the animation in my previous post perhaps isn’t very clear, but hope you understand that it’s possible to group the Sonos rooms without having to go and physically open the Sonos App separately, albeit the ‘group rooms’ screen is from the App. It all opens from within Spotify.

Yes I use this feature but :

When clicking the 3 dots of my One SL it brings me to the Appstore to download the S1 app! (It works with my Beam Gen 2)

The process is not user friendly, requires switches between apps and does not work with spotify desktop

Yes I use this feature but :

When clicking the 3 dots of my One SL it brings me to the Appstore to download the S1 app! (It works with my Beam Gen 2)

The process is not user friendly, requires switches between apps and does not work with spotify desktop

Fair enough, I wasn’t sure if your were using the ‘group rooms’ option. Personally, I tend to use SVC for room grouping/ungrouping, I just find that the easier option.

thanks

Both of these already exist.  Grouping as it has always existed in Sonos is exactly the same in a two-room system as in systems with more rooms.  Any limitations in grouping using Spotify Connect need to be addressed by Spotify. 

Because it isn’t necessary. There is already an “Everywhere” option when you tap the group icon.

The option to save a group is not really creating a permanent group. You are just creating a shortcut to group speakers. The “Everywhere” option would be the shortcut to group your two rooms.

"It isn't necessary"? How can you be sure about someone else's requirements?

I'll give you an example. My downstairs has two main, open-plan rooms with 6 Sonos scattered around in them. I'd like to be able to say "{voice service}, play {song} on downstairs".

I could do this with my old Chromecast built-in speakers, I could do this if I bought some echo speakers, but I can't do it on my brand new Sonos system because of some strange arbitrary rule made up by Sonos.

Instead I have to go into the native app and press buttons like it's 2012. 

Why limit the functionality? What's gained?