Question

Gigaspire Blast 803.11ax router not able to connect

• 11 September 2019
  • 9 replies

I'm using a gigaspire blast router (with 5G radio turned off) to connect to fiber Internet. Previously using Asus RT-66U to connect a One and a Play:1 successfully. Now cannot connect wirelessly OR wired to either. Pixel 3 app gives "Speaker not found". Appreciate suggestions

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

I hope everything on the network has been restarted since the router installation, in order to refresh all addressing info.

If the problem remains, then it suggests that the controller's discovery broadcasts could somehow be blocked by the router.
Hi ratty,
Appreciate the quick response.

Yup - all restarted (multiple times). The network name and password were changed as well as the WiFi protocol.

Further background questions:
  1. What would the controller's discovery broadcasts look like to the router?
  2. Is it true that Sonos will only work on 2.4Ghz?
  3. What explains the failure of the wired hookup?
  4. The Gigaspire Blast router WiFi frequencies (2.4 and 5) are named the same thing. The installer said the phone will pick the best one at any given time to use. In order to get on the 2.4 Ghz network, I had to go into the router and turn off the 5Ghz, so I know I was on the 2.4. Still Speaker not found. Is Sonos documented to work on 803.11ax?
  5. Is it possible since the speakers were previously set up with different credentials, and have not been successfully connected since then that they are still listening for the old network? Not even sure if that is possible.
Bruce
ratty will have to answer most of your questions, but as to 4), Sonos works on 802.11b/g, not ax.

and 5) is certainly a possibility, you'd want to connect one of them to your router with an ethernet cable to force them all to connect on SonosNet (an equivalent b/g network) and reset / remove the current SSID and passwords stored on each device.
Thanks @Airgetlam and @ratty
Wondering if I hardwired my Asus RT-66U router to the gigaspire network as an access point or extender, would I be able to connect the Sonos to it for provisioning? I can't even get a hardwired speaker to be identified.
What would the controller's discovery broadcasts look like to the router?
SSDP

Is it true that Sonos will only work on 2.4Ghz?

The players themselves use 2.4GHz (apart from within a home theatre setup), but unless they're attached to the router's WiFi directly that's not relevant here as you're also having trouble when the system's in a 'wired' (SonosNet) configuration.

The controller devices can connect to the local subnet any which way: wired, 2.4GHz, 5GHz. It shouldn't make any difference.

What explains the failure of the wired hookup?

That's what's peculiar. Presumably you're trying to use a mobile device as controller. Install the Fing app on that device and see if the Sonos players are visible to its network scan. If they are, try pinging them.

The Gigaspire Blast router WiFi frequencies (2.4 and 5) are named the same thing. The installer said the phone will pick the best one at any given time to use. In order to get on the 2.4 Ghz network, I had to go into the router and turn off the 5Ghz, so I know I was on the 2.4. Still Speaker not found. Is Sonos documented to work on 803.11ax?

Sonos requires b/g/n if it's connecting directly to the WiFi. Your system is wired, so the router's wireless technology is not relevant.

Is it possible since the speakers were previously set up with different credentials, and have not been successfully connected since then that they are still listening for the old network?

Again, even if the system has different WiFi credentials stored in it that's not relevant for a wired system.
Thanks ratty
Fing shows Sonos One is visible (it is the only Sonos device powered on and jacked in with ethernet). It pings with average latency of 5ms. So, it appears to be visible.

There is a section of the router firewall that shows blocked services. SSDP does not appear either blocked or enabled, it is just not listed. Is there another name for it? Is there a port number associated with it?
Thanks - Bruce
SSDP uses multicast UDP to 239.255.255.250:1900, as noted in the Wikipedia article. Sonos takes a belt-and-braces approach and also broadcasts to 255.255.255.255:1900.

Is the router firewall active for traffic between local segments?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Do you have "Airtime Fairness" enabled on the router, it has caused others problems.
Do you have "Airtime Fairness" enabled on the router, it has caused others problems.
The OP's issues reproduce with a wired Sonos configuration.