Answered

Gapless playback support for Plex on Sonos

• 3 November 2018
  • 3 replies

I was excited to discover Plex so I can listen to my live concert collection via Sonos, and the only thing I really need is the same gapless playback support currently in place for other music services like Spotify, Pandora, Live Phish and nugs.net. When can we expect Sonos to support gapless playback via Plex?
icon

Best answer by MikeV 3 November 2018, 03:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Just wanted to mention that gapless playback with Plex on Sonos worked fine for me. I have an album with three continuous tracks that play seamless through Sonos, whether I use Sonos' Music Library, Google Play Music, or Plex. I'll note that these files are M4A files, so they're direct play from Plex to Sonos.

Sonos starts buffering the next track when there are ~20 seconds left in the current track, so gapless playback should occur no matter what the source is, unless it's an issue on the source's end.

What format are your live concert files in? If something lossless, like PCM/WAV or FLAC, make sure to mention the resolution and sampling rates too.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Gapless playback is done by the Sonos players themselves, regardless of music source. SMAPI services such as Plex have no participation in the process.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Thanks for the correction... that's really what I meant to say... edited my post. 🙂