Free Raspberry Pi touch controller

• 6 December 2018
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi all,

I recently created a free touchscreen controller for the Raspberry Pi that you can use with your own setup as a sort of dedicated, always ready, controller. Check it out if you like and let me know what you think. Enjoy!

https://github.com/Villarrealized/sonos-pi-controller

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Saw the requirement for a touch screen, too bad it won't run on a Pi's desktop with a mouse which is what we need.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Yeah, it is designed specifically to be used with the touchscreen without a desktop. However, under the hood it is using mouse events for input, so you wouldn't have to change much there at all. You would have to modify some of the environment and setup to work on a pi desktop although I don't think it would be too difficult since pygame works even easier out of the box in the desktop environment.
Nice app. I am new to Docker and must be doing something wrong. After installing Docker and Docker-compose I built the base Dockerfile without a problem. Then I tried to build the main Docker file image with docker-compose build and got an error: "Couldn't find .env file". Which .env file is requested and where can I find it?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi gvanoost,

I may have messed up the order of instructions in the readme. In the README it says:

Copy sample.env to .env and adjust BACKLIGHT_TIMEOUT to your preference. Default is 30 seconds.

Do this and then try it again.
Thanks. 'Docker-compose build' worked now, but 'docker-compose up -d' gave two errors. Any ideas?

Userlevel 2
Badge
It’s trying to mount /etc/ts.conf on your raspberry pi to the docker container, but it’s saying that it doesn’t exist.

Did you install the touchscreen and run the installer from Adafruit?
I’ve installed a 3.5” touchscreen and its working fine, but it is not an Adafruit. It’s a cheap one from China and uses LCD-show as driver.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I’ve installed a 3.5” touchscreen and its working fine, but it is not an Adafruit. It’s a cheap one from China and uses LCD-show as driver.

Hmm. I’m not sure I can help you there. You will probably have to modify the code and setup to get it to work. Sorry!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Saw the requirement for a touch screen, too bad it won't run on a Pi's desktop with a mouse which is what we need.

I have just released a controller for the web browser, that has been tested on Linux. Not raspberry pi yet, although I’m sure it would work great.

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/web-browser-controller-for-sonos-6818025
Userlevel 2
Badge

There was a similar issue opened recently, that may give you some direction in getting your setup to work.

https://github.com/Villarrealized/sonos-pi-controller/issues/1
Hi, I've been attempting to get this to work but when I enter the docker build command I get the following error: unable to prepare context: unable to evaluate symlinks in Dockerfile path: lstat /home/pi/Dockerfile.base: no such file or directory