Fesature request: switch SUB attachment easy

• 19 January 2022
  • 11 replies

Badge +2

I have a setup where I would like to change SUB attachment from a pair of 2’s to a Beam - but a quick way to do that is missing...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I’d like this too. I wonder if the rumoured smaller sub will bring with it this feature?

Quite a lot goes on in the background when bonding and unbonding, especially with a home theatre setup where the Sub needs to flip to/from a direct wireless connection to the HT master. This is unlikely to ever be a ‘quick’ exercise. There are of course options in the controller to go through the necessary steps.

To be frank, considering that (a) it would be quite a bit of coding effort, (b) Trueplay retuning couldn’t be automated (unless multiple tunings were somehow to be stored), and (c) it’s not in Sonos’ commercial interest (they’d sell less Subs) I really can’t see this happening. 

Badge +2

It is in SONOS interest to make customer happy, though!

Not at any expense though, obviously. 

They could make the customers happy by giving products away for free. It would however prove to be a short-lived business strategy.

Userlevel 7

I have a setup where I would like to change SUB attachment from a pair of 2’s to a Beam - but a quick way to do that is missing…

it is in SONOS interest to make customer happy, though!

You should already be happy with Sonos. You’re the only person I know with a pair of 2’s…

Userlevel 7

This wish has been voiced in the community for years. But like others have said besides the coding requirements financially it’s not a sound business decision (sell less subs). 

On a somewhat similar note…the option to add two subs to a home theater was sometime in the making; but we now have that ability. Oh…but wait…that requires purchasing a second sub which one has to be a Gen 3

Hmmm 🤔 sounds like…yeah we can give you what you want but; it may/will cost you in some instances. Especially, if there’s a potential to erode sales. Remember, Sonos is a PTC. 

This wish has been voiced in the community for years. But like others have said besides the coding requirements financially it’s not a sound business decision (sell less subs). 

On a somewhat similar note…the option to add two subs to a home theater was sometime in the making; but we now have that ability. Oh…but wait…that requires purchasing a second sub which one has to be a Gen 3

Hmmm 🤔 sounds like…yeah we can give you what you want but; it may/will cost you in some instances. Especially, if there’s a potential to erode sales. Remember, Sonos is a PTC. 

That’s a completely different technical feature though, even if it may appear to be similar from the outside looking in.

@johnshansen  in your scenario, is the plan to actually move the Sub between two different physical rooms or do the two “Sonos rooms” happen to be in the same physical room?  If it’s the latter, which I think is the most common, I’m think an alternate solution might be possible, one that’s not as complex technically, gives the customer what they want, and doesn’t impact Sonos sales as much.

So the scenario I’ve heard most often is that the customer wants to have two Sonos rooms in the same space, one of the setup for TV audio (say Arc, sub, two Ones) and one setup for optimizing music (say 2 Fives, sub).  The customer never intends to play both rooms at the same time.  I’m thinking in this case, Sonos could allow this to be setup as one room, with just the one sub.  When you play a TV source, the room knows which speakers to use and which remain unused.  The same for music.  The customer doesn’t have to buy 2 subs (unless they want it for TV audio) and does not need to manually do any switching. The hardware radio in the sub don’t have to do any switching as the master controlling device for the room (probably the Arc)  will be sending audio to the sub in all cases...it just might not be playing audio itself.  Perhaps Sonos loses the sale of the 2nd sub, but I think they gain that as people are motivated to buy a pair of Fives or Ones to improve music to the existing room.

That said, I don’t think this will ever happen though, as Sonos does not want to project the image that the Arc and Beam are not good enough for music.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Your solution needs a complete rethink of the Sonos concept of what a “Room” is. I’m not sure this is easy for Sonos…..

Your solution needs a complete rethink of the Sonos concept of what a “Room” is. I’m not sure this is easy for Sonos…..

I don’t think it’s all that different, and would only be useful for a relatively small group.  However, I’m not claiming it’s easy, just not as complex, and I’m not predicting Sonos will ever do it.

edit: It’s not terribly different than how surround speakers are on or off depending on your configuration, music/tv source, and what codec your getting for TV sources.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No, it is very different. In a surround setup all speakers are governed by the soundbar, that is always in play. You would be asking it to be turned off (or at least be silent) and govern (extra) non-surround speakers while being off. Which is totally different from not playing anything because the source only does stereo.

And why? To make use of a feature that does not even exist in a classic (wired) set up. It would be nice for some if Sonos has the time to write code for this, but I’d rather see them solving some older niggles, like the 65k limit.