Feature Request: Please create option to REPLACE existing component/device

• 12 January 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 28 replies

Although Sonos has gotten some bad publicity about its Trade Up program, I used the opportunity to replace three Connect devices I have with three Port devices. As I’ve never had to replace a Sonos speaker, I found the process needlessly complicated. The instructions to replace devices put into recycle mode are poor and suggest that to save your controller settings, you have to add the new device to the group then eventually remove the other devices.

It was hardly a simple process and I ended up losing all the previously added services/favorites/etc. As I hate complaining for its own sake, I have a few suggestions that would have made my life infinitely easier:

1. Rather than having only the option to Add a new device, please have the option to Replace a device. The functionality would be to select the device (particularly if it’s already in Recycle mode!) and then have it’s light flash. Take the new device and push its button and have it take the place of the old one.
  2. How about allowing me to save my profile of services to my Sonos account? That way I can just sign into the controller, sign into my account, and then have all my previous setup saved.
  3. Let me set up my entire system before having me register everything to my account. It was a huge pain that every time I made a change, it blocked me from doing anything else as it was having trouble registering the device on the internet.
  4. Give full functionality to the Windows and Mac OS controllers.

Any of these options would have been a godsend.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@1bit Thanks for the feedback, we’re always looking for ways to improve. I’ll send this along to the team.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

This would mean a rethink of the Sonos system, which stores all information on all players, (hence the instruction to replace the devices one by one, so the history that is in the old devices carries over to the new) instead of the in the cloud. It would also mean that Sonos becomes even more dependent on an internet connection.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

This would mean a rethink of the Sonos system, which stores all information on all players, (hence the instruction to replace the devices one by one, so the history that is in the old devices carries over to the new) instead of the in the cloud. It would also mean that Sonos becomes even more dependent on an internet connection.

I think we agree that we don’t want Sonos dependent more dependent on an internet connection - it’s more a question of implementation. The problem I had was that I had 3 Connect devices and I was trying to replace them with 3 Port devices. There is no “replace” option, just “add” a new device. It did not go easily and would have been even more frustrating for a casual user IMHO. It really should be as simple as selecting a component, having it flash it’s light, replacing it with a new component, then press the button on the new component.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I do not see a big advantage if you add a replace button, to the current situation (add a new device). If you want to replace all your Sonos devices at once you should replace them one by one and give the system a bit of time to communicate all relevant information about your account and preferences from the old system to the first new device.

As far as I can see Sonos already needs the internet, anyway - e.g. when setting the maximum volume on a device, it doesn’t ‘stick’ unless you have internet access - so maybe it’s storing it remotely?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Although Sonos has gotten some bad publicity about its Trade Up program, I used the opportunity to replace three Connect devices I have with three Port devices. As I’ve never had to replace a Sonos speaker, I found the process needlessly complicated. The instructions to replace devices put into recycle mode are poor and suggest that to save your controller settings, you have to add the new device to the group then eventually remove the other devices.

It was hardly a simple process and I ended up losing all the previously added services/favorites/etc. As I hate complaining for its own sake, I have a few suggestions that would have made my life infinitely easier:

Perhaps it’s a matter of perspective, but it doesn’t seem all that overly complicated to me. I’m not sure what your history with Sonos is, but most people will likely add speakers rather than replace. Once you have the experience of adding speakers, adding and then removing a speaker is rather intuitive.   Even if it’s your first time and you’re adding and removing, I think most people will get the concept, but I could be wrong.

1. Rather than having only the option to Add a new device, please have the option to Replace a device. The functionality would be to select the device (particularly if it’s already in Recycle mode!) and then have it’s light flash. Take the new device and push its button and have it take the place of the old one.

One thing that would be confusing is that such a process would only work if you’re doing a ‘like for like’ replacement.  You switched out Ports for Connnects, but what about those who bought a Beam instead of a Port for example.  Such a replace feature wouldn’t work all that well, or at least would be more complex.

Also worth noting that, in my experience, no other smart device has a replace feature.  It’s always add.  Remove usually a little more hidden.  I think that’s somewhat intentional for marketing reasons as the company doesn’t want you to think that their products need to be replaced often.  I imagine Sonos was even hesitant with the tradeup program for that reason.

1. How about allowing me to save my profile of services to my Sonos account? That way I can just sign into the controller, sign into my account, and then have all my previous setup saved.

This is completely unnecessary if you just add in remove.  The device your adding will get your services accounts from your other devices. (I assume this is still possible if your devices are in recycle mode).   And for a lot of people, this would be seen as an unnecessary security risk.  Perhaps it’s an available option, but again, shouldn’t be needed.

BTW, you will always need to be connected to the internet to do setup a new device.  The device is unlikely to be updated to the latest version like  your controller and other speakers, thus an update is pretty much a given at that point.

1. Let me set up my entire system before having me register everything to my account. It was a huge pain that every time I made a change, it blocked me from doing anything else as it was having trouble registering the device on the internet.

I don’t quite get this one.    It sounds more like you were having network related issues during your setup rather than issues with actual setup itself.

1. Give full functionality to the Windows and Mac OS controllers.

Sonos removed these features due to lack of use by customers.  I don’t think it’s going to return unless until users starting using Windows and Mac OS in higher numbers again.  I would bet we see a browser based interface before that happens.

Not trying to knock your ideas, just put some more light on the situation.