Question

Ethernet connection.

• 24 September 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi,

i recently started university and they use a wifi network called eduroam which u need login details for. I worked out that because of that I can only connect my sonos one sl by an ethernet cable. The IT registered my device so it can connect through the ethernet cable however when I try to connect it to the internet, a message comes up on the app that my product has not been found. 
Any ideas how to resolve that?

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi @karinalexandra.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

You might want to check this article about Unsupported network setups and Wired setup requirements.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Probably your best solution would be to get the IT folks to allow you to hook a travel-router to your Ethernet, then hook the Sonos and your controller to the travel-router.

If your controller can’t see it it is likely that the Ethernet and WiFi connections are on different LANs.

If you connected a controller to the same Ethernet you’d likely be above to see and control your Sonos but as above it would be open to all on the Ethernet.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Public-ish networks like hotels and college campuses usually (not always) isolate all client systems from communicating with each other for security reasons.  Sonos requires direct network conenctivity between the controllers and the speakers, which breaks in situations like this.  Stanley’s suggestion is probably the best for your situation, if the IT department allows it.