Enable IPv6

• 31 December 2012
  • 71 replies

in 2013 it is way time to add IPv6 support to every things we connect to the Internet.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

71 replies

Userlevel 1
Sonus is correct, in that nearly every home broadband ISP will find a way to provide customers with local IPv4 addresses that work via NAT (even while the infrastructure of many of them is already moving to IPv6 for transport.)  Similarly, people are today using IPv6 on the mobile phones and don't even know it - the mobile service provider uses IPv6 to phone, and there's dynamic mapping at both ends so IPv4 only applications work.  Google reports that nearly 20% of US users are accessing Google via IPv6 (and this up from 10% just a year ago)

Of course, the IPv4-only devices and applications are slower than those using IPv6, and are prone to overloading and jitter issues, as your audio/video stream is being dynamically mapped to/from IPv4 (along with everyone else) at some data center in the service providers network...  For example Facebook noted that devices supporting IPv6 are loading content from them 20 to 40% faster than those just using IPv4.

So, the real question is "can you build consumer home devices and services that only support IPv4, and still manage to get by as the Internet moves IPv6?"   Yes, you definitely can.    Are you at risk of having competitors show up with better performing solutions, and this situation becoming much more noticeable to your users over time?  Alas, that's also true – whether it's an issue depends on each companies competitive situation, user focus, and product planning timeline.

/John

John Curran 
President and CEO
American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN)
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Just thought I'd point out the wonderful irony that this new community site is accessible via IPv6. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
So, I changed my network around... ditched DHCPv6 for SLAAC only... that let my two Sonos One's and Beam pick up global IPv6 addresses. Then I tried providing a streaming URL using a specific IPv6 address (rather than a dual-stack hostname)... and alas, it didn't work. :(

It seems to think about it for a bit, making it seem like it wants to make the connection... but nothing ever plays. No error message though, which is interesting.

Baby steps though... at least newer devices are starting to include IPv6 stacks... maybe they'll actually take advantage of them outside of the local network sometime in the future. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You are completely missing the point and are part of the problem with this mindset.

> Your local network will remain on IPv4, as the home is never going to have enough devices that you need to go to IPv6. 

Seriously?  You think this is what IPv6 is about?  You think that the "home network" is the only thing running out of space?

Here is a very real scenario for your product.  

A few months down the road, this hip new company starts offering a service that is novel and your customers are clamoring for.  But because IPv4 address space is exhausted, they are struggling to get enough v4 addresses to support their business and the address space they have is getting increasingly more expensive to keep due to greater demand and zero new supply.  So, they deploy their service dual-stacked and simply say, "sorry, for the problems over IPv4, there is nothing we can really do about it.  It is putting us out of business.  Use IPv6 for the best experience."  

Now, your product is SOL because you think your own integration are going to be the big kids from now and forever more.  Next, you as a company scramble to implement support. but because you were too bullheaded to head our requests, you know nothing about implementation.  You have no expertise in building out a v6 network, so you struggle for a while getting the basics working, all the while that competitor of your which wasn't so short-sighed, is getting your business.

If you think this is far fetched, you deserve to be out of business.

The last thing I'll say on this, at least for the immediate future, is that I feel this line of thinking is extremely short-sighted.

Over the past day, numerous scenarios have popped into my head about how Sonos loses by not supporting IPv6. I could write a few pages about it all.  But I won't. My opinion on this matter is clear, and there's not much more that I can say.

I think it's a mistake to ignore this. It's the future, and you know it's coming. Take the time now to get it right, rather than be rushed down the road when someone - an ISP or a music service - makes a change that suddenly prevents your products from operating properly, affecting your customers' ability to use them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You are completely missing the point and are part of the problem with this mindset.

> Your local network will remain on IPv4, as the home is never going to have enough devices that you need to go to IPv6. 

Seriously?  You think this is what IPv6 is about?  You think that the "home network" is the only thing running out of space?

Here is a very real scenario for your product.  

A few months down the road, this hip new company starts offering a service that is novel and your customers are clamoring for.  But because IPv4 address space is exhausted, they are struggling to get enough v4 addresses to support their business and the address space they have is getting increasingly more expensive to keep due to greater demand and zero new supply.  So, they deploy their service dual-stacked and simply say, "sorry, for the problems over IPv4, there is nothing we can really do about it.  It is putting us out of business.  Use IPv6 for the best experience."  

Now, your product is SOL because you think your own integration are going to be the big kids from now and forever more.  Next, you as a company scramble to implement support. but because you were too bullheaded to head our requests, you know nothing about implementation.  You have no expertise in building out a v6 network, so you struggle for a while getting the basics working, all the while that competitor of your which wasn't so short-sighed, is getting your business.

If you think this is far fetched, you deserve to be out of business.

Even if it's years away, at least you'll be ahead of the game.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
IPv6 use continues to grow. This makes sense, since now four out of the five regional IP registries are completely out of IPv4 addresses. 2015 was a big year for IPv6 growth worldwide. The numbers below are based on Google data... APNIC numbers are higher in some areas as they use a different way of measuring user percentage. Cisco's 6Lab site shows both numbers on their maps, but only provides historical data for Google.

- IPv6 users in the US grew almost 10% this year, with 23-24% now using IPv6; over 60 million users.
- Canada's on the rise, moving up to almost 7% with a big jump in September; About 2.3 million users.
- Germany continues a steady climb, rising about 7% to over 20% now, almost 14.2 million users.
- Belgium also continues a steady climb, rising about 10% to over 38%, about 3.6 million users.
- Japan grew from about 6% at the start of the year to just shy of 9%... over 10 million users.
- Portugal almost had 300% growth... currently at 20% of users with IPv6, after starting with only 5.5%.
- Greece was just shy of 200% growth... starting the year at 6.75% now at just under 19%.
- Switzerland made a big jump in June, and continues to rise... over 26% of users have IPv6.
- Sweden IPv6 users just about doubled this year... over 2.5% have IPv6.
- The Netherlands started 2015 at about 2.1%... they briefly peaked over 4% before falling back to 3.8%.
- The UK took a big step this year, jumping from 0.25% in January to over 2.5%.
- Brazil also took a big step this year, jumping from 0.1% to almost 6.5%!

An ISP in the UK has begun providing IPv6-only service... the ISP provides ONLY IPv6 addresses to customers, then handles translation to IPv4 sites as necessary on their end. Guess what won't work on this ISP, since it doesn't support IPv6?

Music services will likely continue to support IPv4 for a long time, yes that's true... but if IPv6 only ISP's start popping up in greater numbers (and they can't get more IPv4 addresses, so this is increasingly likely), Sonos will be just as useless.

And to lend credence to an earlier comment about IPv6 being more responsive than IPv4... I submit the two Smokeping graphs attached. One shows the IPv4 response time over the past week from my VPS in New York to my home router in Virginia, the other shows the IPv6 response. The v4 graph clearly shows increased delays during "prime time", while the v6 graph is much cleaner.

Get going with this Sonos... many would say you're already well behind the curve on this. The devices can support IPv6, even if your servers don't,
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Google and Microsoft are both all about IPv6... I know Google Play Music supports it and would imagine that Groove Music would as well, though I don't have a way to confirm that. Also, I believe I had seen that Pandora is available through IPv6 now as well.

As a cloud services provider, Amazon is still working to support it (the exception is their elastic load balancer setup, which is currently their recommended way to IPv6-enable services hosted through Amazon)... but even while the core functionality of an app/service might not support it, many of the CDNs bringing the music to your system do support it on their networks.

Since I'm responding to a post about this topic, I'll also mention that US mobile carriers hit a milestone where over half (almost 55%) of their internet traffic is now over IPv6. I realize that cell carrier traffic has no direct bearing on Sonos, but it nonetheless indicates that IPv6 use is still increasing at a pretty good clip... especially since at the start of the year, that number was only about 37%.

I'm with Majik here... sooner rather than later would be the best way to handle this. IPv4 will likely be around in some form for a long time to come... but as IPv6 use keeps increasing, IPv4 will quickly become the laggard of the internet, and IPv4-only devices like Sonos will end up suffering because of it. Comcast is already looking into IPv6-only, with IPv4 mapped over IPv6 using Cisco's proposed Mapping of Address and Port (MAP) standard, which is working its way through the IETF. Comcast is already moving over 30% of its internet traffic over IPv6, and hopes for it to be 50% by the end of this year. As more services become available over IPv6, the numbers will begin to increase at a pretty staggering rate. I'd much prefer my Sonos devices to be on native IPv6 at that point rather than using a translation mechanism that brings down performance.

World IPv6 Launch day was over 4 years ago now... IPv6 deployment and use is continuing to grow at some rather impressive rates in many parts of the world. Let's see this happen sometime soon... please?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Are there really that many Sonos devices on the public network? It seems like the only thing that needs to support IPv6 is your router (on the WAN side) 
IPv6 needs to be supported by your ISP (or use a tunnel provider), your router, and your devices. 

IPv6 doesn't use NAT like IPv4 does. Every device on your network with an IPv6 address is able to make a direct connection to the IPv6 server it's communicating with. Port forwards are a thing of the past; you now change a setting in your firewall to allow a port through to a specific host.

Devices can have both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, since IPv4 will likely be around in some way for years still. But the future is definitely in IPv6, and there are already services (Google Play Music, for one) that support IPv6 access.

Also, just to note how far behind Sonos is... Everything on my home network - except for my Logitech Harmony Hub and my Sonos devices - is capable of IPv6. All of my computers, my tablet, my smartphone, my network printer, my Apple TV boxes, my NAS... all of it supports (and is using) IPv6. 
FYI
The layer 3 protocols should largely be independent of the hardware which is at layer 1 and 2. Even if there were some dependencies, I doubt there are any chipset manufacturers who would make something that didn't support IPv6 these days.

In other words, there shouldn't be an issue.
Sometimes (e.g. Wiznet chips) the IPv4 stack is baked into the chip.

However, I think we can focus on Sonos implementing IPv6 in future product releases and on their website and services as a first step. Existing hardware is a nice to have, but at least stop producing new stuff that won't work with the modern internet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Just out of curiosity sake... if Sonos finally makes an IPv6 item, perhaps a Bridge, Boost, or a speaker that is hardwired to a router, that would then make the whole Sonos setup good to go for IPv6 services? That seems like the easiest way to fix the issue if this is true, but I definitely feel sonos should start making improvements before it's too late. To many competitors exist today to be selling 10 year old play 5s that still cost a fortune and haven't had a single improvement. I don't want them to re-invent the wheel but it's hard to justify buying expensive new electronics when I already feel they're on the verge of becoming antiques.
Every Sonos device on a network has its own IP address. If Sonos were to continue operating in this fashion, then every Sonos device would need to support IPv6.

I'm not worried about the fact that it's 5 or 10 year old hardware... IPv6 is something that would be added in software/firmware. And Sonos continues to support their old and out-of-production devices with software updates, even years after they stopped producing them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi JeroenB, our team has already been looking into this to see if we'll need to make any adjustments to the app. The players themselves won't have an issue but we're investigating if any changes need to be made to the app and working to change anything that does.

Thanks for asking.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
How timely for some new info for this topic... I just thought I'd provide a link to this video... it's from a Cisco symposium in France last month, with one of Comcast's IPv6 engineers talking about their path to IPv6 only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSLrJfBwkiI

The USA's largest ISP has a full IPv4/v6 dual-stack network NOW, and they're moving towards IPv6-only. There's no definitive timeline given of course, but they're clearly looking ahead as they mention that they will have more info and insight into implementation of "IPv4 as a service" in a year. It could be as soon as late next year that they start treating IPv4 as "second class" over IPv6, as more and more traffic travels over IPv6. They already see 25-30% of their network traffic as IPv6; About 90% of their traffic to a "major search provider" (read: Google) is IPv6. Those numbers are only going up.

I hope this serves as an early wakeup call... it's only going to become more and more prevalent. And it might happen sooner than you think. As a Comcast customer embracing IPv6, I really hope that Sonos has it on the calendar to at least start working on it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I can do IPv4, anything I need done with it is easy and painless.

IPv6 has eaten hundreds of hours of my time and a lot of time from support folks too, just trying to get a bit beyond the very basic stuff up and running. Reserved IP addresses via DHCP6 in particular has been bringing me to tears. The best suggestions for tracking down systems involve WireShark and additional subnets on my router to try to isolate the suspects. I've gotten about 1/3 tracked and assigned but that last big batch just aren't cooperating.

If you just want to grab a consumer grade router and user device and slap them on the net IPv6 is pretty much invisible but going beyond that is not an easy task.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It could have something to do with Airplay maybe... because only my Sonos One speakers have IPv6 addresses (though only link-local, as I mentioned before that I'm using DHCPv6)... and my other speakers, which are known to not support Airplay, don't have IPv6 addresses.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm seeing this from my Gen 2 Play 5 and similar from my two new Play 1 speakers, not the fancy Ones.

ath0 inet6 addr: fe80::XXXX:fef8:b31f/64 Scope:Link

br0 inet6 addr: fe80::XXXX:fef8:b31e/64 Scope:Link
inet6 addr: 2600:XXXX:5701:5eaa:fdff:fef8:b31e/64 Scope:Global
Badge
Unlike IPv4, IPv6 interfaces can, and will typically, have multiple addresses configured.

IPv6 addresses beginning with:
  • FE80: are Link Local (LL). Every interface configured for IPv6 will have at least one.
  • FDxx: are Unique Local Addresses (ULA), and are loosely analogous with RFC1918 IPv4 private address ranges (10/8, 172.16/12 and 192.168/16). They're designed to be routable within an organisation, but must be filtered by gateways connecting to the outside.
  • 2xxx: or 3xxx: are globally routable. These addresses allow end-to-end connectivity. across the internet. This will be expanded if the 2000:/3 range is exhausted.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The br0 addresses are the ones that matter, at least in a SonosNet system. It's possible that in a non-SonosNet setup the ath0 interface could have a global address instead, since it would only be using the WiFi connection... that might explain why it also has a link-local address.

Interesting though that you're seeing it on a newer Play:1 (which I completely missed earlier)... guess that blows away my theory on it being for Airplay.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I'm currently trying to implement dual-stack here at work, and it's a painful insight that everything but Sonos would support IPv6 here. Even our printer has IPv6 support. Linux have had IPv6 support since 2.6.x kernel, which was released in 2003. UPnP will of course behave a little bit differently, and I'm not sure of the status for ipv6-support in that standard. I however do now that Intels UPnP framework supports ipv6 so there is some progress in that area.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Happy to say that I agree with this sentiment. While most internet music services may not yet support IPv6 on their ends, home and office networks with varying internet services are already providing IPv6 service, and people are implementing IPv6 as it becomes available to them. Hopefully Sonos is at least testing IPv6 implementation for a future release... there's no doubt that adding IPv6 support will definitely be a challenge for them..
The devices don't have IPv6 addresses at the moment. Look at http://ZP_IP:1400/status/ifconfig and you will only see IPv4 addresses.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
IPv6 use on the internet continues to grow. Will Sonos ever grow with it? Here in the US, Verizon supports IPv6 for business customers and is testing consumer support (the last two or three revisions of FiOS routers they provide have IPv6 support, so they're ready once they turn it on). Comcast has enabled IPv6 for nearly all of their customers. Time Warner Cable and Cox Cable are currently rolling out IPv6 in select markets as well. Cisco reports that the percentage of US internet users using IPv6 has grown from .5% at the start of 2012 to almost 5% now (4.8% to be exact). France, Norway, Germany, Switzerland, and Romania all have 5% or higher numbers. Japan has over 3% using IPv6. Google recently reported that more than 2% of the traffic to its services is originating from IPv6 addresses. Given the worldwide reach of their services, 2% is not an insignificant figure. Akamai, one of the largest CDNs on the internet, has been regularly averaging (on a daily basis) over 200,000 IPv6 hits per second from North America since September, and over 200,000 hits per second worldwide since July. At 200,000 hits per second, that's almost 17.3 billion hits per day, and growing. (added links to companies' IPv6 statistics)
I will add to this mikev. I implemented dual-stack on my network recently. Without doing anything else, my IPv6 traffic already makes up nearly 25% of my Internet traffic. The figures you quote are important, but they mask the fact that the uptake is not constrained by the number of IPv6 compatible services on the Internet, it's constrained by the number of end users, which is directly impacted by the currently small numbers of ISPs that support IPv6. As networks start to roll out IPv6 to their customers, which they will be starting to do very soon as IPv4 is pretty much all used up, these figures could (and probably will) grow dramatically.
Badge
I too am interested in getting ipv6 support enabled on my investment of Sonos equipment.   I am equally interested in what the roadmap is for 802.11ac support on the wireless interfaces.   Obviously the wireless side is a hardware issue and will likely required new investment to support which makes my continued investment in Sonos tempered by this alone.  I can avail myself as a beta tester if/when you develope a "trade-in" program to new ipv6 and 802.11ac capable products.  ;)

As for v6 I think this thread has been very insightful and hope that Sonos takes it to heart.  As someone who works for an ISP and is actively champion the dual-stack delivery of services to customers I find that making the "highway" available is only one part of this puzzle.  CE vendors need to lead the charge to make ready customer equipment to remain relevant and an industry leader.   Wait much longer and and you will find other more agile companies accelerating ahead into this new space.  Be advised the the new industry litmus test is to certify your products work effectively in an IPv6-only environment.  This test eeks out any hidden and long forgotten dependency on IPv4 stack.  This test allows us to know that we are not going to break CE equipment when the day comes that IPv4 is less desirable and turned down (years out).

ipv6-only reference: http://www.internetsociety.org/deploy360/blog/2013/10/what-does-the-ipv6-only-web-look-like-video-of-lee-howards-ripe67-talk/

There is movement to test this idea on 6/6/2014 and document the results. I encourage everyone willing to give this a go register here https://www.facebook.com/groups/ipv6.only.day/

It would be a shame to see the existing product line not mature and continue to be the shining example of wireless hi-fi music in the home.

I remain a satisfied Sonos consumer for now with 3 amps, soundbar, subwoofer and play5 but would love to have some reassurance that my investment is not short sided.

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Now that Google - one of the major players in IPv6 support on the content side of things - is available through Sonos, I'm going to bump this up again. Some updated numbers too...

IPv6 is now used by over 7% of users in the US. 
During prime time (with a 10 minute average), Akamai is now regularly handling over 350k IPv6 hits per second in North America, with occasional peaks over 400k hits per second.
Over 3% of all traffic worldwide to Google is now IPv6.

A note on the IPv4 side of things... ARIN (the IP address registry for North America) is down to its last /8 block of IPv4 addresses.

Some other numbers around the globe, since Sonos isn't only in the US...
Akamai in Europe is regularly reaching over 100k IPv6 hits per second (10 minute average)
8.3% of users in Germany are using IPv6... 17% in Belgium... 10% in Switzerland... 5% in France...

Sonos needs to at least start looking at implementing IPv6 in their devices. More and more content providers and CDNs are adding IPv6 support, and more and more users are being provided with access to IPv6. Yes, IPv4 may be around for years to come, but it's always good to evolve with the times and support new things before they become necessary.

As with Scott above, I would also like some reassurance that Sonos will be continuing to update their hardware with support for new network needs. I certainly won't be investing any more money into Sonos without knowledge of plans to add IPv6 support for the future. Aside from my "Smart TV" devices and Sonos, everything else on my network - router, computers, printer, tablets, smartphones, game console, etc. - all support IPv6. Anything new that goes onto my network will have IPv6 support, or I won't purchase it.