Dolby digital through AirPlay 2?

• 6 August 2018
  • 3 replies

My TV is a Panasonic HD ready plasma from 2005. It’s a great TV, but does not have either HDMI ARC or an optical connection. I have a Beam and two play:1’s as surrounds. Until I upgrade the screen, the only way to send sound from my Apple TV is via airplay 2 to the Beam + surrounds. My question is: what audio formats does this setup support? (I.E. DD5.1, stereo only, mono etc)

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, TurboBoosters. Thanks for the post! I've been digging into this topic a bit in my own time and I've found that typically Airplay passes Stereo and not Dolby Digital. This might change in the future, but since AirPlay is an Apple service/technology you may want to reach out to them about it.

Thanks again!
Badge
Hi there, same question here.

I found that Airplay 2 is capable of streaming Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. But not to a Sonos system. And I can't find the reason why.
Badge
Hello Keith,

What’s up?

I found this question and actually I have exactly the same one, meaning is the DD 5.1 supported from Apple TV to my Sonos 5.1 via AirPlay 2?
I tried to find the info on Apple TV site, forums, etc. but no success.

Did you finally find this info on your side maybe?

cheers!