Dolby digital through AirPlay 2?

• 6 August 2018
  • 3 replies

My TV is a Panasonic HD ready plasma from 2005. It’s a great TV, but does not have either HDMI ARC or an optical connection. I have a Beam and two play:1’s as surrounds. Until I upgrade the screen, the only way to send sound from my Apple TV is via airplay 2 to the Beam + surrounds. My question is: what audio formats does this setup support? (I.E. DD5.1, stereo only, mono etc)

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, TurboBoosters. Thanks for the post! I've been digging into this topic a bit in my own time and I've found that typically Airplay passes Stereo and not Dolby Digital. This might change in the future, but since AirPlay is an Apple service/technology you may want to reach out to them about it.

Thanks again!
Badge
Hello Keith,

What’s up?

I found this question and actually I have exactly the same one, meaning is the DD 5.1 supported from Apple TV to my Sonos 5.1 via AirPlay 2?
I tried to find the info on Apple TV site, forums, etc. but no success.

Did you finally find this info on your side maybe?

cheers!
Badge
Hi there, same question here.

I found that Airplay 2 is capable of streaming Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. But not to a Sonos system. And I can't find the reason why.