Answered

Does the Connect:Amp have a common ground wire?

• 4 August 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi, I’m trying to find out if the Connect:Amp has a common ground wire?

Background: I have a series of Connect:Amps driving a variety of zones. One of those zones is an outdoor garden with 4 speakers: 2 x Niles OS6.3Si and 2 x Niles RS6 Pro Rocks. These four 8-ohm speakers are connected to the Connect:Amp via a Niles SS-4 Speaker Selector. The issue is that the two Si speakers (which have a separate left-right channel in each speaker) are having audio cancel out when the balance is centered. The Niles technical support says that happens when the amplifier has a common ground. Therefore my question around whether the Connect:Amp does indeed have a common ground wire? And, if so, is there any way to change that?

If the amp doesn’t have a common ground, then any other ideas for why the Si speakers are having the left-right cancellation issue? It would seem a workaround could be simply feeding each speaker with only a left or right signal, but I’d like to avoid that if at all possible (since the two speakers are not positioned as a stereo pair.) Thanks!

icon

Best answer by benneb 4 August 2020, 00:44

ANSWER: No, the Connect:Amp does not have a common ground wire.

FIX: The reason by Si speakers were cancelling each other is that I had swapped the +/- for the left channels. That meant that the Left and Right were channels were effectively being bridged in the speakers themselves. Once that was sorted everything is working correctly!

Tip: Sonos and Niles sequence their wires differently:

Sonos: Right -, Right +, Left -Left +

Niles: Left +Left -, Right -, Right +

View original

1 reply

ANSWER: No, the Connect:Amp does not have a common ground wire.

FIX: The reason by Si speakers were cancelling each other is that I had swapped the +/- for the left channels. That meant that the Left and Right were channels were effectively being bridged in the speakers themselves. Once that was sorted everything is working correctly!

Tip: Sonos and Niles sequence their wires differently:

Sonos: Right -, Right +, Left -Left +

Niles: Left +Left -, Right -, Right +