Differing firmware versions on hardware!

• 23 December 2018
  • 3 replies

I have a Connect Amp on v8.6, it missed the update to 9.1 that all my other devices are on due to non use for the 4 week download 'window' in September. When switching on now it insists on being updated even though I have automatic updates set to off. There seems no way round this to get it working. Presumably however if I do accept it will download v9.3, which will brick my iPod dock & require all the other components to be updated? Would be good if it only updated to the version of the software on the controllers, wishful thinking? Ruing not having got it to 9.1 along with the other gear!
I get that the work around with using the line in on a Play 5 isn't the end of the world, however there is a deterioration in sound quality between the 30 pin digital out & the headphone jack, in particular a loss of definition from a more bloated softer bass,

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I have a Connect Amp on v8.6, it missed the update to 9.1 that all my other devices are on due to non use for the 4 week download 'window' in September. When switching on now it insists on being updated even though I have automatic updates set to off. There seems no way round this to get it working. Presumably however if I do accept it will download v9.3, which will brick my iPod dock & require all the other components to be updated? Would be good if it only updated to the version of the software on the controllers, wishful thinking? Ruing not having got it to 9.1 along with the other gear!
I get that the work around with using the line in on a Play 5 isn't the end of the world, however there is a deterioration in sound quality between the 30 pin digital out & the headphone jack, in particular a loss of definition from a more bloated softer bass,

Wouldn't help. The system requires Controller software and firmware being on the same version.
I did get a solution.... decided to phone the SONOS technical helpline. A very nice gentleman, Andrew, reckoned a fix might be possible to update the software on my Connect Amp from 8.6 to 9.1, rather than going beyond. There was a chance it might have gone straight to 9.3 but hey presto 15 minutes later it had worked! No bricked iPod dock! Absolutely brill service, all my SONOS components are now on v9.1 with updates turned off. I can keep my iPod dock working now, at least until I want some new gear and avoid putting the SONOS app on a new phone. Longer term solution will be to get a NAS drive to store my last local music files. One very happy customer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Consider building a NAS using a Raspberry Pi and dedicating it to Sonos use as Sonos requires SMB v1 which you may not want to have on a NAS with critical data on it. If you already had a NAS you can use the PI as a NAS to SMB v1 gateway too.