Default source when turning on power

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Maybe I am the only one who is disconnecting his Sonos (connect) from the power source, but what I would like is that I could define a default source that starts playing when I turn on the power on my Sonos.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6
+1 This would be a very nice feature if: - you plugin the Sonos at a new location (e.g. at first you hear in the living room and now you plug it in the garden to continue the audio book without searching the title and position again) - the Sonos restarts after power outage - people operate their Sonos through switch outlets A "play last source" and if not available "play default" in combination would be perfect.
Very much +1.
Had I known this before my purchase I would have had second thoughts!
My girlfriend will hate that I replaced the old radio for something where she needs the phone every time she turns it on!
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Same here 😉
so true, my wife is still not satisfied, even after 2 years of running Sonos. And think about the children who just want to switch on the radio ... do you really want them to use the smart phone every time?
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Additional Feature of this idea:
Every powerless Sonos should be part of the controller list and it should be possible to start a radio stream before the Sonos goes online again. After e.g. 5 minutes this command is canceld automatically if the Sonos is still offline (to avoid starting the stream at the next day if the wrong Sonos was selected).

This means offline Sonos must be "deleted" if they are permanently removed.
This was the killer feature for me!
I was told by two colleagues independently how nice it was that you just hit the play/pause button to start listening the last source (actually just playing a paused source), but no one did mention that this did not apply after a power cycle.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Technical:
If the Players do not have a nonvolatile storage they should auto-safe the playlists to the network storage (so only if this is available the option works). Or if Sonos wants to raise the user experience they should save the last 100 playlists in a Sonos cloud service. By that a new option "last playlists" would be possible as well.
The non-volatile memory is there so no need to bring the cloud into it. Sonos is becoming too dependent on external connectivity as it is so I'd like to see this feature be implemented using a local, and therefore stable and reliable, solution.
I don't understand why Sonos is waiting to implement this feature. I'm selling SONOS Products and this "default source for a room" thing is a cause why customers move away from Sonos to Teufel/Raumfeld. Because they have this simple feature - SONOS does not. To the SONOS Product Developer Team which might be reading this forum - please get this little thing in you system an it will be perfect an save you place as N°1 Wirless Streaming System....
I don't understand why people are unplugging the Sonos devices to begin with? They are designed to be used in a room, and it will work as you'd like if you stop turning it off. I have 8 Sonos connect amps and 1 Sonos connect - 1 for each zone in my house where I want music and I leave them on/in standby at all times. Why make it harder than it needs to be?
@CodeeCB: there are two reasons for this feature:
1. the ungplugg thing: you have a ply1 in your living room an want to use it outdoor. so you will have to plug it out move it and plug it in.
I don't want my ply1 beeing outdoor all the time - only for some hours on a nice sunny sunday for example.

2. the smartphone-less usage: i bought a ply1 for my parents which are not used to the smarphone stuff. they just want to listen to
their favorite radio station without the usage of a smartphone. so this "default-sourc" function could be very easily implemented.

3. the temporary lost of a wlan connection: if you have connected one ply1 over wlan and the connection is lost and recoverd (reboot of the
wlan access point) you always have to configure the radio station again. with a "configured default source" their is no more need
for a smartphone.

Their is just a need for configuring a default-source for each room if you want to use ist. if not - just don't configure a default source and the
sonos speaker works like it works nowadays.
Point 2: do you think perhaps you should have just bought them a radio?
@The LHC:
yea i would have - but at my space there are some places where you don't have a good radio signal.
To save power I always unplug my Sonos systems. Why should the components be connected 24 hours, when being used just 2 hours a day?
I urgently need this "play standard source at power on"-feature.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Why should the components be connected 24 hours, when being used just 2 hours a day?

Powering up and down your Sonos gear on a daily basis will shorten their life considerably.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
+1
I re-liked this idea as all likes have been deleted through the last sonos community update 😞
For me, the feature "last source after turning power on" is a very important function currently missing in the product. I still do not understand why it was not implemented at this stage since the alarm function does have such permanent memory.
I thought I could define one alarm per minute for all 24 hours (1440 alarms, don't know if the system supports it), all starting to play at each minute with my favorite radio-station -> then, when I turn on my Player, the next alarm (max. one minute after) will activaze and start the radio. Not realistic, but shows that a implementing this missng impprtant functionality seems to be feasible....
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Why do you turn the power off? They are designed to stay on.

Do you turn the power off on your tv, cable box, pvr, fridge, freezer, clocks, router, modem, phone, cooker...

Of course, the simplest solution is buy a radio. If a radio does not give you the service you want then the compromises inherent in what you want to do with another product is the price for using that product. A radio is a different product for a different usage. Sonos is a product for a specific usage. A different product does not guarantee identical functionality and requires changes on your part tomuse it as intended rather than how you think it should be used.
Why should the components be connected 24 hours, when being used just 2 hours a day?

Powering up and down your Sonos gear on a daily basis will shorten their life considerably.

Really - do they use cheap components then?!
I use mine in my home office and I may be in there 1 hour a day, 12 hours a a day, or not in there for 5 days so I like to turn stuff off when its not being used no matter how little electricity it uses. As it so happens I have been leaving my Sonos on, although he network switch it connects to is turned off every night. When I come to use it next I have to either use my phone or desktop app to kick it back into life and I normally listen to the same source as when I last left it.

So I too would like to see it remember its last source and track/radio station and just pick up from there when you either:
- Power it up
- If left powered on but disconnected from the internet when you press the play button

Can't be rocket science...
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Really - do they use cheap components then?!
I don't know. You could consider asking Sonos.
Badge
I can't believe that this option has not been adopted after all these years. I was surprised the first time my wireless router was rebooted to find none of my speakers remembered their source. Pain in the ass setting them all up again. I think the inclusion of a toggle feature would be ideal so people have a choice on the default behaviour.
Yeah, glad its no just me that would lke to see such a "simple" but useful feature implemented.
Badge
I agree, a default source of music for each speaker would be nice. And technically not that hard to implement.
E.g. We love to move our PLAY:1 from inside the house to the outside during the summer time (almost daily).
It would be nice to just continue the audio stream after hitting the play/pause button...
I don't understand why people are unplugging the Sonos devices to begin with? They are designed to be used in a room, and it will work as you'd like if you stop turning it off. I have 8 Sonos connect amps and 1 Sonos connect - 1 for each zone in my house where I want music and I leave them on/in standby at all times. Why make it harder than it needs to be?

The list of songs disappears anyway, even if you do not switch off the device. I have no idea why this is happening. I have 10 devices and I sometimes have an empty list. It's very annoying. Is it so difficult for Sonos to remember the playlist? If it can not be done on the device being turned on, it can let it replicate in its network.