Dear Sonos, please, I'm begging you - add a password protection mechanism to the Sonos Controller

Userlevel 1
Hello.

I would like to formally make an enhancement request. Please, please, please, add a password protection mechanism to the Sonos Controller.

I work in a variety of offices that have spent a small fortune on Sonos equipment, and we have the same problem at each office: People hijack the Sonos, skip other people's music, play inappropriate music, tweak the volume, etc.

A simple password protection mechanism would rid me of so many headaches without the need for advanced network configuration changes.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Hi Aaron, the solution to your problem is to make messing with the music a fire-able offense. :D:D:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I edited a word above.

Also, it's definitely a request we've gotten and I'll make sure to add your name to the list of those interested. You'll find several threads here on the same line of requests.
Userlevel 1
Hi Aaron, the solution to your problem is to make messing with the music a fire-able offense. :D:D:D Agreed! Except that there's no audit trail, and the person who we think is responsible is denying that it's them.
Userlevel 1
I edited a word above.

Also, it's definitely a request we've gotten and I'll make sure to add your name to the list of those interested. You'll find several threads here on the same line of requests.
Thanks Ryan! I'll admit that I've seen a few threads before, but they never seem to go anywhere -- some are even years old, and don't seem to get any attention. I started a new thread in the hopes of bumping this up to the top and maybe getting a feature put on the product roadmap?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I started a new thread in the hopes of bumping this up to the top and maybe getting a feature put on the product roadmap?

We generally don't discuss what's coming, though you probably know that we're working on voice control with Amazon Alexa devices right now and a few other things. Other than what's already been announced we can't speak to what's up next. I'll make sure to pass your interest along, but nothing to share today.
Hi Aaron, the solution to your problem is to make messing with the music a fire-able offense. :D:D:D Agreed! Except that there's no audit trail, and the person who we think is responsible is denying that it's them.
Actually there is, after a fashion. The internal logs capture which IP address executed significant playback commands (play, next, etc). Talk to Sonos Support.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
This is the #1 feature needed IMHO.

Im with you, could use passwords and/granular controls. But for me a few more enhancements probably are ahead (just imo)
Alexa
Audible
adding more 3rd party app support
YouTube
HDMI/dts/dd+/dtshd/7.1 on Playbar/playbase persistent/virtual room groupings
Local library enhancements like recently added, multi genre, smart/dynamic playlisting
+A dozen more but my thumbs are tired and my voice hurts from yelling at my Google assistant.
Just a thought, but if that feature is added, it needs to be added optional or before Sonos starts integrating with Alexa and others. The feature wouldn't just be on the controller, but would need to be added to the speakers and such themselves. Otherwise, it would be like putting a lock on the door, but leaving the windows wide open.

The controller isn't the only way to control a system. There is also the hard buttons. More importantly, there is the open API. You would have to add password functionality to this as well. And that won't sit well with all the 3rd party stuff and customers out there that uses the API. For example, I use a lutron hub to control my Sonos. Turns on music and lights every morning. I don't want that to suddenly break because of a password I don't care about, then have to wait for Lutron to upgrade their hub firmware.

And of course, the password functionality would have to be in Alexa integration. You certainly don't want to inadvertently break that when it comes out.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Im with you, could use passwords and/granular controls. But for me a few more enhancements probably are ahead (just imo)
Alexa
Audible
adding more 3rd party app support
YouTube
HDMI/dts/dd+/dtshd/7.1 on Playbar/playbase persistent/virtual room groupings
Local library enhancements like recently added, multi genre, smart/dynamic playlisting
+A dozen more but my thumbs are tired and my voice hurts from yelling at my Google assistant.

I would love all that. In my environment, I need to be able to secure it. Everything else is a want for me.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Just a thought, but if that feature is added, it needs to be added optional or before Sonos starts integrating with Alexa and others. The feature wouldn't just be on the controller, but would need to be added to the speakers and such themselves. Otherwise, it would be like putting a lock on the door, but leaving the windows wide open.

The controller isn't the only way to control a system. There is also the hard buttons. More importantly, there is the open API. You would have to add password functionality to this as well. And that won't sit well with all the 3rd party stuff and customers out there that uses the API. For example, I use a lutron hub to control my Sonos. Turns on music and lights every morning. I don't want that to suddenly break because of a password I don't care about, then have to wait for Lutron to upgrade their hub firmware.

And of course, the password functionality would have to be in Alexa integration. You certainly don't want to inadvertently break that when it comes out.

There are many examples in the mobile and networking environments right now that Sonos could follow for this best practice. Having a password for each zone (or if they really feel spunky, each speaker group) should be an optional setting. For the controller(app), using the TouchID API for apple would be a very secure/easy implementation and could do the same on Android.
Userlevel 1
Actually there is, after a fashion. The internal logs capture which IP address executed significant playback commands (play, next, etc). Talk to Sonos Support.
Good to know, although we don't want to have to review detailed logs after the fact to place blame - we just want to have some control over the audio in our space.

The sad reality for us is that all the Sonos equipment will remain unplugged until a suitable solution is found.
Userlevel 1

I hear you. I think part of the challenge is that Sonos has been rapidly adopted both for commercial and residential settings, which each have a distinct set of needs.
Userlevel 1
Badge
This is not password method for the SONOS, but maybe an easy work around for your business environments and add some of the security you are looking for.
How about adding an additional secure SSID to your network specifically for the speakers and controllers. Only provide access to that network to trusted people. If you are in larger environments and using wired connections a simple isolated VLAN specific to the SONOS would work great as well. Treat them as a building services (like HVAC or Security Controls) that should have limited access and it should eliminate rouge users controlling your speakers.
For owners in smaller environments with standard "home" networking gear, you could make use of the guest networks for secondary SSID and inherently keep it separated from your general network users.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
In an Office environment, just set up a separate subnet for the Sonos gear, and only allow "special" folk access to the SSID connected to it. Problem solved. No need to add passwords to Controllers and Players, which will quickly turn into a tech support nightmare (I forgot my password, etc). If an Office IT person can't set up a separate subnet, get another IT person, frankly.
I edited a word above.

Please add my name to that list as well. Think of the possibilities in sales if you add this feature and add it quick. Office settings, Hospitals, University dorm rooms, Hotels. The fact that you dont have this feature yet is puzzling 🙂 said in a sarcastic voice. Please please add.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't let the grand lids use my Sonos gear, I do let them use my Amazon stuff because it lets me lock stuff behind a PIN. I know that won't stop a determined kid but it should do a lot to deflect an irate parent if the kids do break past it.

Passwords, PINs, parental controls and the like would sure make Sonos more family friendly, a market that isn't being ignored by other systems.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Just get yourself Norton App lock. Simple to lick individual apps. Job done. Why over complicate things?
Badge
I’m 100% supporting this petition a password option is neccesary for this situation.
Hope SONOS listening their costumers.
I truly believe they are listening. The question is really, what is the priority of the request, against all of the others? What will the company benefit most from?