Creating Multiple Groups with Surround Sound Set + Pro-ject T1+ Five

• 8 December 2021
  • 2 replies

I have the surround sound set (Beam, Sub, One x2) and just got the Five + Pro-ject T1 package.  Everything is in a medium size square-ish living room.   Based on what I’ve read so far, the Beam and the Five do not play well together (though I may be mistaken).  I have an idea as to how I set up multiple rooms and multiple groups from those rooms to have functionally two different setups, which I’m comfortable operating exclusively from the Sonos app:

• Room 1- Sub + 2x One
  • Room 2- Five +Pro-ject 
  • Room 3- Beam
  • Group 1 (primarily for music)- Room 1 + Room 2
  • Group 2 (primarily for TV/ movies)- Room 1 + Room 3

Is creating multiple Groups with components from the same Rooms feasible?  Any and all thoughts/ tips are very much appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

The Beam and Five work fine together.

You only need two rooms:

Room 1: Beam/Sub/Ones

Room 2: Five

You want the Sub and Ones to be bonded to the Beam so it will be set up as a 5.1 home theater system. Keeping them as two separate rooms and grouping them will not achieve this.

A speaker can’t belong to more than one room at a time, so your plan is a no go.  As already stated, you would want just the two Sonos rooms.  

I probably would see if I could use the Five in a different room.  It’s unlikely to really be that useful, as a speaker, with your beam+ones+sub.  Unless you’re going to get a 2nd five as a stereo pair, for music only.  

In case you were not aware, you can set the beam+ones+sub to full stereo, so that the ones play stereo for music sources.